thinking of getting a Metal Dukoff 6 for my yamaha82-z alto. any thoughts

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Dukoffs

be careful!! The newer dukoffs are horribly inconsistent - and horribly soft so they damage easily if you are careless. But if you have a good one, they are very good pieces. I suggest if you get one new, send it to Keith Bradbury, aka Mojobari. He is THE MAN on Dukoffs, and makin them play to their potential. Do a google searh of his name andf you will get his site.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by saabtech
      (20 posts)

19 years ago

are they actually harder to play than rubber pieces? this is what i heard.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

They are no harder than any other rubber piece. the thing that makes them hard, is that they have such bad facings most of the time.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I'd go with a Meyer or an Otto Link over a Dukoff. You can buy an Otto Link through www.giardinelli.com for around $110.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by nad1rn
          (37 posts)

19 years ago

It is an older model and it says Miami florida on the MP

Reply To Post AIM

3. by StratmanBaze
          (61 posts)

19 years ago

are the new dukoffs made in florida? i was just wandering...

Reply To Post

4. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

I've heard what definiton what already mentioned, that you have to pick out a Dukoff in order to get a good one, for every single one is different and if you get a $hitty one, you'll be sorry. I also agree with Jim. I'm gonna get a metal Otto for my alto over the summer, $20 cheaper than a possible POS Dukoff. The older ones are better, my band director has two and man they are sweet. A lot of pro's play on Dukoff (Sanborn, Ken Gorelick [yes, he counts], maybe Michael Brecker), so if you're gonna get one, get an older. Otherwise go with an Otto and don't look back!!!

Reply To Post

5. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

brecker plays brecker pieces by guardala...the most well known dukoff tenor player was, of course, Dexter!

Reply To Post

6. by StratmanBaze
          (61 posts)

19 years ago

POS dukoff? I bought new ones for my reference and mk VI....there is nothing wrong with them. the sound is really bluesy and cool.

Reply To Post

7. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Stratman, I'm just saying in theory; if you get a junk Dukoff it'll be a POS. Not saying all are, just keeping in mind that they are inconsistent and that if ya get a crappy one, it sucks. You musta been lucky, for you got two good ones. I've heard a LOT of people complain about them...then there's a few who say they're good so they must have the good eggs. I would just rather go with a consistent mouthpiece like an Otto Link or a Meyer. And that's only what I've read.

Reply To Post

8. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

While I've been able to salvage Dukoff silverite pieces by refacing them, I'm of the camp that they aren't worth buying unless you can give them a blow first.

Reply To Post

9. by StratmanBaze
          (61 posts)

19 years ago

I do like my dukoffs, though I must admit i'm not too crazy about silverites. one dukoff that came with my mark VI (it was a hollywood model) did sound cool. Otto links... I did hear that some of the new ones were good and some were bad (in the end they're all moutpieces *smiles*) but many people have told me to go about the old vintage florida ones. Then again, I am facing the decision of buying a vintage florida link, a barone mouthpiece, or a custom made dukoff made by the dude himself...any ideas?

Reply To Post

10. by StratmanBaze
          (61 posts)

19 years ago

oops...it should read "I must admit i'm not too crazy about the silverite substance" they're good mouthpieces (for me anyways) though

Reply To Post