Saxophone Forum

by grandcentral
(5 posts)
19 years ago

my vintage conn, and whether i should sell it or get it fixed

hello, i just recently got down with the whole saxquest thang. im a 24 year old saxophonist in new york, i play out a lot. i have a conn m 254472, it sounds wonderful. at the moment it is all messed up. some of the pads are shot and there is some minor post and mechanical issues, i am so torn, i dont know much about my horn other than it is pretty old, and i'm pretty sure it was relaquered, and poorly i might add. but that is not the point.but i need a horn i can play out 5 nights a week and in sessions. I love my horn and i got it for like 500 bux 5 years ago, but if it is worth money i might need to sell it, ijust dont know what to do. if any one knows about this horn give me a holler. thanx.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

19 years ago

Re: my vintage conn, and whether i should sell it or get it fixed

Thats 1933 vintage. Alto or tenor?and will be either a very late chu transitional or a 6m/10m depending on whether tenor or alto. You wont get a better sounding modern horn so keep the conn. Good ones do make a lot of money it all depends on condition and it will play out 7 nights a week if you keep on top of the repairs (a bit of oiling might help!) Dont sell it as you may not get another as the prices are rising fast Dave

Reply To Post

1. by grandcentral
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

its a tenor, and it does sound great, do you think the upkeep is worth it?

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

19 years ago

If you love this horn (I know I would), by all means get it repaired! It will play better than ever and with good care will stay that way for a long time. They don't make horns like the old Conns anymore, and you'll probably end up kicking yourself if you sell it. I made that mistake years ago. Be sure to find a repair man that knows how many beans make five- you want the best work you can get.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

"do you think the upkeep is worth it?" ABSOfreekinLUTELY! As stated above, you won't find a horn with better tone, flexibility and that certain "Magic" that these horns have. But then that is what you would expect most of us "Vintage" nuts to say around here, isn't it? Just make sure you pick your repair technician carefully, because there are a lot of ill informed, and down right ignorant quack repairmen who don't know or understand vintage, and Conn in particular, horns.

Reply To Post

2. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

"I made that mistake years ago. Be sure to find a repair man that knows how many beans make five- you want the best work you can get." Sorry Blackfrancis, I didn't mean to steal your thunder with my redundant advise. I should have read the other posts BEFORE I posted. But I guess the proves that great minds think alike! :)

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

You won't find another tenor with that sound, that's for sure. Even if it costs you $1100 to relacquer the horn and overhaul it, it's well worth it. Transitional model tenors like that are becoming more and more valuable.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

Grand central- Are you in so. Cal? if you are, I recommend ABI. Go to www.ABI.com That should get you to the home page. If you can't get there through that, go to google and type in: Anaheim band instruments. I recommend that place even if it's a long drive. great service, very nice, the repair man, AKA, Harry, Knows his saxes.

Reply To Post

5. by grandcentral
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

im in new york, hence my stately moniker. i was thinking of taking it to Roberto's. I he,s a wise old soul who keeps it real with the vintage horns.

Reply To Post

6. by grandcentral
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

i mean i hear he is a wise old soul i messed up typing .

Reply To Post

7. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

Certainly the Chu tenors are worth quite a bit comparitively. It looks like they are quite a bit less common than their alto counterparts. As a general rule, I would only have a premium overhaul done to a horn I planned on keeping.

Reply To Post

8. by saxman0317
          (53 posts)

19 years ago

If ur willing to take a road trip out west alittle, theres an awsome small town shop near niagara falls, ny called Alder Creek Music. This guys can tell how many beans makes five, and even up to ten. Steve can fix anything, and has extremally great prices as well. If ur interested, drop me a line a [email protected] and ill send u out the info

Reply To Post AIM

9. by saxman0317
          (53 posts)

19 years ago

and by the way....if u dont want that horn, im always willing to add to my conn alto, and more than glad to get the work done

Reply To Post AIM