Saxophone Forum

by lespa1
(3 posts)
19 years ago

Conn Alto question

If am looking at a Conn alto serial no. 526xxx. It has no other numbers and no engravings. It has wire keyguards. What model horn is this? Is this a student or pro horn?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Conn Alto question

Does it have an underslung octave key? Meaning the octave key on the bottom of the neck? If so, it is a 6M. If the octave key is on the top of the neck, it is an early 14M. That serial number dates the horn to 1955, which is the year that Conn introduced the 14M. There were some 6M's without engraving, but my guess is that this is a 14M. The 14M was a student-intermediate model horn. They were based on the Conn Pan American line. The older models are still a very good horn.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by lespa1
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks and the octave key is on top so it must be a 14M. Why would this be a lesser horn than a 6M?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The 6M had resonator pads, the 14M did not. The 6M has locking set screws in the sides of the posts, the 14M does not. The 6M had other adjustments and features that the 14M did not. The 6M had real mother of pearl inlays and sterling silver plated keys, the 14M had nickel keys and plastic inlays. There were other differences in construction also.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by kraizeemom
          (2 posts)

18 years ago

A little confused... I have an alto sax that was my mother's, so I know it dates back to at least the 50s. The octave key is on the top of the neck, and it has the real mother of pearl inlays and silver plated keys. It has the constellation design on the bell. A repairman would not do the work on my sax, because he said that he did not have pads for my custom plates, which I did not know I had. He was trying to tell me that this had to be a professional performance sax at one point in time. The only number I can find is E30138. What can you tell me about this horn?

Reply To Post

2. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

The letter E is from 1965 not te 50's and would be a mexican made conn Dave

Reply To Post

3. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

Also, the model with the shooting stars was a student horn. A pretty good one but still a student horn

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by kraizeemom
          (2 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for the information. I really had no idea about the horn, other than it needs some repair work done.

Reply To Post