Saxophone Forum

by reallynewtothis
(15 posts)
19 years ago

Just got a 6m!!!!

Hi. I just boughtt a 1952 Conn 6m from Ebay. Can't wait to receive it. cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7311355475&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Just got a 6m!!!!

Great horn! Congratulations. I'm sure you will love it!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by west
      (242 posts)

19 years ago

I would love to see it but the pic is not working

Reply To Post

1. by reallynewtothis
        (15 posts)

19 years ago

Sorru about that. There's no access to the pics, 'cause the auction ended ... And I won!!!!

Reply To Post

1. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

Does it have most of the lacquer still?

Reply To Post

2. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

Copy and paste the auction link into your browser, it works that way. Looks like most of the laquer is there to me, but to me it also looks like a relaq. The serial number and etc seemed fairly faint IMO. But that still looks like a fairly killer horn there!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, that is a relacquer, but for that price I don't want to hear any complaints! That should prove to be a superb horn. Congradulations.

Reply To Post

4. by reallynewtothis
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

No complaints here. Just received today, and it's great. The relacquer is not bad and seems to have been done a long time ago. I'm gonna take it to Roberto's Woodwind to be repadded and adjusted, but it sounds great as it is. And I only paid 494.0 for it!!!!.

Reply To Post

5. by reallynewtothis
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

Just got the horn back form the shop. It's amazing!!!

Reply To Post

6. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

I was just thinking about instruments that are relacquered and I realized that i don't like the look of new lacquer with patches of old lacquer. Just doesn't look right.

Reply To Post

7. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

If you looked at my 10M, you would never guess that it was relacquered, because it was done right! It was stripped, buffed carefully, not to hurt the engraving, not over-lacquered, and then baked to cure the lacquer. I had the silver keys polished and put back on; not lacquered. I hate it when they lacquer the keys! mine still shows a little wear on the keys, but the body looks like new. To look at the horn, you would think it was all original, just extremely well taken care of.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

8. by reallynewtothis
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

Hi, guys. Is there anyway to modify a ProTec case to fit my 6m? Thanks

Reply To Post

9. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

I doubt you can change the case if the sax is bigger, but if it is smaller, use something to stabilize it.

Reply To Post

10. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

6M's are kinda hard to find cases for. The SKB cases can be made to fit it, but I'm not sure about the Pro-techs. I would assume they can. It seems like they would actually be easier to work with than some of the hard cases. Talk to a tech and maybe he might have some suggestions

Reply To Post Yahoo!

11. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

19 years ago

You can indeed make a 6M fit in a Pro Tec case. Just cut out for the bell keys and squash down the padding where the LH pinkie keys are. All that's needed is a sharp knife, contact cement, a little bit of black fabric and some patience. If you aren't a d.i.y. kind of guy, do let a pro do it. Congrats on the horn- I recently got one to replace my mk vi and I wholeheartedly share your enthusiasm! ( the mk. vi is still for sale...)

Reply To Post