Saxophone Forum

by NiceGuyEd
(6 posts)
19 years ago

I'm going to sell this Conn Gold Plated Artist Series - Model 6M

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I thought I'd give all you vintage collectors a heads up and let you know I'm selling a Conn Artist Series sax... I threw some pictures up. Take a look here: www.thelsnetwork.com/conn.htm

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by NiceGuyEd
    (6 posts)

19 years ago

Re: I'm going to sell this Conn Gold Plated Artist Series - Model 6M

Hmm... that links not working so you may need to cut and paste it into your browser.

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

19 years ago

Thats a nice alto!!! Someone had very good taste to buy that one. I think its actually a new wonder 2 (chu berry) transitional alto just before the 6m thou they are basically the same horn except for some small modifications like the L/H pinky table Dave

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

It is essentially a 6M; with the underslung octave key, both the B and Bb keys on the same side of the bell, etc. The serial number dates this horn to 1931. Many enthusiasts consider the transitional period to start around serial number 249,000 in 1932. Actually, Conn began developing what became the 6M as early as 1928, when a lot of other experimentation was being done. The 6M may have been introduced earlier if it hadn't been for the Great Depression. In any case, this is a great horn and it appears to be in exceptional condition! Anyone looking for a great vintage horn to add to their collection, this is the one! If my finances were a little more stable at the moment, I would grab this one in a heartbeat! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by NiceGuyEd
          (6 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the replies fellas... So am I misrepresenting it by calling the sax an "Artist Series 6M"?

Reply To Post

2. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

Technically no as all conn alto's are a 6m as they deemed alto's as model 6 from the early years 1910'ish, same as tenors 10m though the models weren't called that they were wonder , new wonder ,new wonder 2 etc . same for soprano, baritone etc 4m 12m through the range. Conn started to call them 6m around the start of the naked lady series and same sided bell time. Confused ? most people are and i think conn may have been as well. Yours is a new wonder 2 artist series model and a damn good one , best of luck with it Dave

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

No Dave, it's not a New Wonder II. The New Wonder II did not have an underslung octave key, and had split bell keys ( B on one side, Bb on the other) This horn is an early 6M. True, the serial number predates the 6M by a couple years, but this is a very early 6M and not a New Wonder II. Confusing, I know. This horn may have been built as a prototype or a demonstrator. As I said, Conn started experimenting with the underslung 6M design as early as 1928. If it hadn't been for the Great Depression, the 6M may have been introduced sooner. Some of these early 6M's were built and given to players by the Conn factory to "test out" Who knows, this horn might have been played by Parker, or Chu, or any one of the Conn loyalists of the time!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

wow that's a nice horn! (sorry I can't comment any more than that) also, your link dosn't work on mozilla/firefox

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

Jim your most probably correct with the underslung neck being a 6m model but they did produce same sided bell keyed chu,s around this time and this one has the new wonder pinky keys Dave

Reply To Post

6. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

If you're referring to the nail file G#, yeah, i noticed that. Some of the early 6M's had them too. This horn seems to be closer to the later 6M, having the Bell keys on the same side and the underslung octave key, which were key features of the 6M. Given the year though, this horn may have other features, like the G# that are more like the New Wonder Series II. It is a transitional Artist model 6M.

Reply To Post Yahoo!