Saxophone Forum

by Black Orpheus
(23 posts)
19 years ago

Claude Lakey Hard Rubber Tenor Mouthpieces

I'm always looking around for a good mouthpiece, and I recently received an offer for a Claude Lakey hard rubber tenor mouthpiece, 5*3. Are Lakey pieces worth looking into? I want a light sound that is full, warm and not too bright in the upper registers (I currently play on a Yamaha 62 sax with a Morgan 6M mouthpiece, and the upper register tends to be quite bright). Think Lester Young or Stan Getz, although I could go for a Mintzer sound too... Could a Lakey be annoyingly bright on a Yamaha 62? Thanks for the help!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Claude Lakey Hard Rubber Tenor Mouthpieces

The Claude Lakey is very bright, harsh, and prone to squeaking

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Joe90
    (2 posts)

19 years ago

They are a bright mouthpiece, but very responsive and free blowing.

Reply To Post

3. by Roccosm
    (113 posts)

18 years ago

I have a 6* for My tenor and love it Friend, On alto though it is very bright but they are cheap and they play very very easy,,I would try one if I were You .. I think You will be pleasently suprized .Rocco

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

18 years ago

yes.. lakeys are verrrryyy bright pieces.. they almost sound a 1/4th of a step higher or somthing .. but they produce a very nice sound they project amazing and their response is great.. they dont just randomly jump into an overtone when u jump from a high octave note to a lower one.. i used one and i tried it with a traditionally darker reed and ligature and it rounded off some of the "bite" very nicely.. im getting a 4*3 for christmas

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by Roccosm
        (113 posts)

18 years ago

Hi Friend, I use a 6*, Have You ever thought about why Us player's use differnt size's in MP' what make's You use a 4* a myself a 6*,,what are the physiological difference's i wonder.. I might need help,, I do have other thing's to do,,lol....curious..Rocco

Reply To Post