Saxophone Forum

by cavie_sop
(5 posts)
19 years ago

Can anyone tell me about this saxophone?

My step-father recently gave me a saxophone and I am looking for any information on it. Since I'm a trumpet player, I know next to nothing about saxophones. Here's what I can tell you: It's a silver plated curved soprano sax made by Buescher in Elkhart, Indiana. On the back, it says "True-Tone" and "Low Pitch". The serial number is 176697. The front has some very nice engraving and it also says "The Buescher Elkhart, IND." Can anyone tell me anything about this saxophone such as year range that it was made, is it a good quality saxophone, approximate value, etc. My daughter is starting band next year and she has expressed an interest in playing the saxophone. I'm pretty sure that this would not be a good sax to start her out on, but I was wondering if it would be worth the time/money to have this thing fixed such as replacing pads and such. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Can anyone tell me about this saxophone?

It's a Buescher True Tone from 1925. Excellent Horn! The True Tone was one of the finest saxophones made at the time, with excellent intonation. In good condition a True Tone Soprano will bring $1000-$1200 easily. With a good clean-up and fresh pads, $1500 or more. I would start her out on alto. Let her get familiar with the key configuration, learn the scales and develope her embouchre. Soprano saxophones are more difficult to play. They require a lot more embouchre control that an alto or tenor. I would definately repair the soprano, and hang onto it as something she may want to work into. She can play around with it at home. If she can learn to play the soprano, it will only make alto that much easier

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by cavie_sop
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

Hey Jim, thanks a lot! Considering the great condition this thing is in, I am amazed that it is 80 years old. I had become intrigued by the history of this sax and tried a google search, but could come up with nothing. Did you get this info from a web site or from personal knowledge? From what I could find, Selmer was the last "owner" of Buescher, but I couldn't find anything on their web site either. Can you point me in the direction where I might do some more research? Thanks again! Dean

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

Pete Hales is a good source of all things sax and history. His site is www.saxpics.com

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by cavie_sop
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

I'm checking it out now. Thanks for the pointer. This is exciting!

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I collect and restore vintage horns; mostly Conn, but I'm also very familiar with Buescher and King. I have an assortment of books, and information, and I have websites that I also use from time to time. It's become a very expensive hobby for me actually, but I love old horns. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, it cost money Jim, lol. Though if price wasnt an issue I tell you I'd have a contrabass sax tomorrow! And a few more tenors, sopranos, heck lets just say a bunch more horns, and not just saxes

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, it cost money Jim, lol. Though if price wasnt an issue I tell you I'd have a contrabass sax tomorrow! And a few more tenors, sopranos, heck lets just say a bunch more horns, and not just saxes

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM