Saxophone Forum

by bmcguire
(45 posts)
19 years ago

Selmer Prices going crazy

Has anybody noticed the prices of Selmer Saxes going through the roof? WWBW has the Serie III at $3999 and the Ref 54 at $4300. I know that the US dollar is struggling against the Euro but Serie III's were $3200 6 months ago from them. Yamaha prices have stayed the same. I tell you, I'm a Selmer fan but when you can get a 875 Yamaha for $2800 and a Serie III will run you a grand more it's a hard choice.....

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Selmer Prices going crazy

Heh, Im a vintage american horn fan myself, prices are goin up there too(always are) but slowly. Face it, price increases are the way o the world

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by bmcguire
      (45 posts)

19 years ago

I know and I understand that but $800 in 6 months? And the Yamahas and Keilwerths haven't gone up so whats the deal with Selmer... They must be made of Gasoline!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Actually the gasoline prices may have something to do with that; as the cost of shipping would be effected.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by GordonGekko
      (27 posts)

19 years ago

It's not only the weakened $US, but also the ever increasing costs of copper and brass- especially copper. You can thank China for that- they are buying everything they can get. I purchased my silver Z alto back in October and the price has increased by about $200 US. I tried Selmer, but for the Yamaha was much better for me both in playing and in the pocketbook. Regards, GG

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

19 years ago

It's the weakness of the dollar probably coupled with the rise of manufacturing costs in Europe. Perhaps it's a bit of hording as well! Yes, China has been aggressive in purchasing fuel and materials commodities, but hey, they have a right to it like anyone else on the world market. Vintage material is going up for a couple of reasons. Reason #1 is the expanding market via the internet. Vintage horns used to be a rather clandestined market that was limited to local patronage, now you can set up shop and advertise you're goods anywhere. The web is also bringing greater attention and demand to vintage goods. Reason #2 for the upwards trend in vintage values are the rising cost of the alternatives, namely new horns. As prices of new horns rises, greater demand for used occurs, which drives up their price as well.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah - even older horns are selling for big bucks. Why, just the other day, someone offered me $1400 for a Bundy II alto. I didn't feel right taking anymore than $1250, however. All kidding aside, as long as COMMUNIST China continues to horde raw materials and countries don't take action to price protect their manufacturing base, the proverbial fan will only become more covered in feces. That's reason enough to me to justify resurrecting old instruments even if it's not a money maker.

Reply To Post

1. by west
            (242 posts)

19 years ago

Oh crap! I can't remember what China did exactly, but didn't they attack another country or something?

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah - China isn't so much hung up on attacking other countries as they are on attacking their own people, which I suppose is better.

Reply To Post

3. by tenor562
            (297 posts)

19 years ago

Jupiter prices went up too in recent months around four hundred dollars. They used to be great deals, but with these new prices, their sales are going to drag.

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

China buys a lot of steel because they manufacture a lot of goods! China imports more US steel than any other country. They also export more goods than any other country, including Japan! In fact, many Japanese companies have turned to China for cheaper labor just as the US has turned to Mexico.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by martysax
            (148 posts)

19 years ago

But how can a Chinese restaurant be open 24 hours and never take out any garbage?

Reply To Post

6. by west
            (242 posts)

19 years ago

Wow, did that question come out of nowhere or what? I geuss it carried over from the other discussion about this. I have answered this before but i will be kind enough to say it again. They eat the table scraps INCLUDING the cups, utensils, trays, plates, etc. etc.. You also never see them bring new food in because they cook the outside plants and add flavorings, and they capture stray dogs, cats, and whatever else lurks in the streets at night.

Reply To Post

7. by martysax
            (148 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry, it must be the MSG.

Reply To Post

8. by west
            (242 posts)

19 years ago

It's fine. Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah......ugh............................ugh.........................................stomach........cramps!

Reply To Post

9. by GordonGekko
            (27 posts)

19 years ago

Remember this- Walmart is the largest importer of Chinese products in America. I believe they import something like 10-15% of all Chinese merchandise.

Reply To Post

10. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I don't know where you got your info Gekko, but those figures sound a little exaggerated to me. Much of the mechandise distributed throughout Europe and Asia is made in China. Walmart is the largest US retailer, and when you look at all the various merchandise that is imported from China; especially electronics, I would expect that number to be surprisingly hi, but 10-15% of all Chinese merchandise? Maybe in the United States, but not the world. Even 6% would be astonishing

Reply To Post Yahoo!

11. by martysax
            (148 posts)

19 years ago

There's this guy I work with, Chuckie, who is the largest consumer of Chinese I've ever seen. You should see him go through a PuPu for Four and Large Guy Poo Lo Mein!

Reply To Post

12. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

19 years ago

I'm wondering if the Maxtones and other eBay shiny junk horns come tied down in the case using those god-forsaken wire ties. I'm not a large consumer of Chinese, either. They tend to kung-fu their way out of the paper bags the store puts them in. Insensitively yours...

Reply To Post

13. by martysax
            (148 posts)

19 years ago

A sax player and trumpet player were hungry after a gig. The sax player said: "Hey Man, You want to Order some Chinese?" The Trumpet player said: "To do what?"

Reply To Post

14. by GordonGekko
            (27 posts)

19 years ago

I wrote in America- not the world.

Reply To Post

15. by GordonGekko
            (27 posts)

19 years ago

However, since Wal-Mart only imports commodities from China, without manufacturing any products that can be exported, the colossal procurement made by the company accounts for more than 10 percent in the total commodities imported by the U.S. from China. That is one of the causes leading to trade deficit on the part of U.S. The important influence thus generated has expanded from the retail field to other areas en.ce.cn/subject/RetailinginChina/Developmenttrend/200411/26/t20041126_2433136.shtml 15% was too high, but 10% was not out of the question. There are countless articles online from numerous sources that state this information.

Reply To Post