Saxophone Forum

by wlipischak
(1 post)
19 years ago

Ligatures

Are two thumbscrew ligatures better than single knob ones?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Ligatures

That is officially known as Can o' Worms Question #574... Better or worse, like everything "saxophone", is subjective. In terms of sound it's more about what is coming in contact with the reed than how it tightens. The more mass coming in contact with the reed (and the more pressure applied) - the more "dead" the reed becomes. Better/worse? Depends on your objective. Some people like a deader response - particularly classical players moreso than jazz players. Some people like a more lively or bright sounding set-up and then they might prefer a Rovner Eddie Daniels lig or a Bonade which has thin rails instead of full lig to reed contact. One complaint I have about single screw ligs (where the screw and applied pressure is perpendicular to the reed and table) is that the manufacturers for whatever lame reason don't make the threads fine enough and it can be difficult to fine tune the amount of pressure being applied to hold the reed in place - it's either too loose or too firm. Put cork grease on the lig screws in any case to smooth the action of it.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The best ligatures are made of Platinum with a single titanium crew. They cost about $3,000! That would be the one to get!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by TANGO SIX ONE
        (255 posts)

19 years ago

This statement by conn sax man jim pay little attention to it.The knights templer order have tried many ligs through out the years.Dont be caught up spending silly money on ligs.If using metel links their design and lig set up are fine.if using ebonite then different ball park .Single rovner ligs are fine but read movement on setting varies considerably slightest,Care has be applied on set up.Use touch point hexigan style lig they open up horn with lift.Dont use this lig on a cheap horn it wi;ll show it up for what it is.Great on good horns ,work similar to link idea but metal links have ridge on top set up . on ebonite link or any other mouthpieces touch points work great. We wont bore you with the details why .These platinum tatanium screw although good are no better than these mentioned.In fact the knights templars view is that touch points are the best. But all depends on how you play what you play.(Bird lives)

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

Dude, its a joke that Jim posted there

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Do they even make $3000 ligs? My alto lig that is made out of ivory and baby seal leather only cost me $1000! Ok, I better stop before someone thinks I am being serious there too! I use Rovner ligs. I have a few different ones. I really don't notice that much difference between them actually. I like them. Sure, there are better ligatures out there, but the Rovners work for me, so I haven't really tried anything else. I'd like to try one of their new Evos. About the only mouthpiece I don't use a Rovner with is my Otto Link Super Tone Master, which I use the stock ligature with. There is a new lig similar to the Rovner with 2 screws that I like. I think it's an Ultimate. Looks like a nice lig, but they're considerably more expensive too.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by p-apple
        (49 posts)

19 years ago

actually my ligature has no screws. it's quite unique and is simply a circle. so, i mean. if you really think the amounts of screws matter then get the "Lebayle Wood Solist" (which is what I have). obviously, this creates a bunch of problems depending on your mouthpiece because the lig is very picky on the size of the mouthpiece.

Reply To Post

3. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

19 years ago

"The best ligatures are made of Platinum with a single titanium crew. They cost about $3,000! That would be the one to get!" No, the best ones are hand carved Ebony that fit right around the mpc. Because wood dosn't "strech" as much as leather or metal they come in 4 pressures; feather, light, standard, hard. They take about a week to make, and the backlog is around 4 months.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

No you guys are all wrong!! The lig is not worth worrying about. All you have to do is soak the reeds in an mixture that is 26.6% pitutary gland extract, and the other part tequila. and you will have no problems playing at all!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by justanothersaxguy
          (58 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with "definition" except that if you check the records, Adolple Sax himself recommended 28.6% pituitary gland extract; although it's debated whether or not the original recipe might have been because tequila was harder to get in those days. Come on, "definition" - don't compromise with something this important. If you can't give an extra %2 for the sake of the music, then it's just not worth it!! Seriously, I've searched for the holy grail in ligatures, mouthpieces, horns, etc. You have to try them, and see which gives you a sound you like. One screw, two screws, etc, will all affect the location of the pressure points on the reed. Try them, and go with what gives you a sound you like. (Which applies to the mouthpiece, the reed and the horn, too).

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I just bought a new lig! It's like a Rovner, only instead of rubber, the lig uses baby seal leather, and the fart that fits against the reed is made of ivory from elephant tusk. The single screw is titanium. It' makes my sax sound just like John Coltrane!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by p-apple
          (49 posts)

19 years ago

i'm curious, is this the consoli ramplig? - william

Reply To Post

5. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

I almost repadded my sax with baby seal pads, but they were out of season and I couldn't wait.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

6. by justanothersaxguy
          (58 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, but if you could have waited, just think how well they'd SEAL. (Oh, I just couldn't resist that one).

Reply To Post

7. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

I had one of my altos done with seal, and the resonators are made of platinum and rubidium, makes me sound 1) like im on the moon, and 2) Parker is alive!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

8. by justanothersaxguy
          (58 posts)

19 years ago

I don't want to brag or anything, but someday the world will thank me. I actually have a patent pending on a new type of ligature. It is made of transparent aluminum and imbeded in one of the 17 adjustable set screws is one of those noise-cancelling chips like in the Bose headphones you can wear on the plane. That way, you can blow as loud as you want to, and still make it sound like a trombone, except without all those annoying pitch bends and stuff

Reply To Post