Saxophone Forum

by mrd
(137 posts)
9 years ago

Advice on Otto Link Opening

A friend in London uses an Otto Link "9", with a very soft reed, and says I would love that setup, and could definitely play it because of the reed strength even though it is 9. On Tenor, If I were to pick up a "7", using a soft reed, how difficult would it be to push?? Compare this to a 5 opening please.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tsax_player
    (76 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Advice on Otto Link Opening

I know some of the guys will disagree with this but, I am not a huge fan of dropping in reed strength. Softer reeds are great for beginers but pitch and the reeds lifespan are not very good. I think the 7'' opening on the link would be a great move for you. A 5" is a fairly small chamber (especially newer links they feel very stuffy to me). Try different reed strengths and see what fits you, and what you are looking for in a sound.

Reply To Post

1. by mrd
      (137 posts)

9 years ago

Thank you for your advice. I currently have a Brilhart Levelaire 5, so the Otto Link Tone Master at 7 made me worried about what I would need to use it. Your time is appreciated.. I wish you well

Reply To Post

1. by syrasax
        (75 posts)

9 years ago

I know the difference between the 7 and the 7* is the size of the opening but in terms of playing . . . what's the diff?

Reply To Post

2. by blackfrancis
      (396 posts)

9 years ago

I currently use a Link 7 with a 2 1/2 reed-works fine and the life expectancy of the reed is thoroughly acceptable. Not at all difficult to push - that's one of the things I like about the Link. Never tried a 5 opening so I can give you no info there. All comparisons are just someone else's experience and the only one that really counts is your own. Try 'em for yourself and find a combination that suits you (and your horn).

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (574 posts)

9 years ago

Either way you go on the opinion scale regarding this touchy topic, you'll get some disputes. However I will give you my two cents worth: When it comes to Otto Links, and their application in Jazz and Blues styles, I feel that going bigger is always better(up to a point). My experience with MODERN Links has shown that they really don't start to open up and project as well until you get to a 7 or larger tip opening. 8 and 8* they really start to shine. Yes I know I'm going to hear from someone that many giants of the Tenor in the past used smaller tip Links, such as Dexter Gordon, Coleman Hawkins etc. Good for them. Now for the rest of us, a larger facing is the way to go IMHO, PROVIDED your embouchure is mature enough to handle it comfortably.

Reply To Post

3. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

9 years ago

Try a 7 with a medium reed. Try a vandoren medium or medium hard. On a 5 try a medium hard, or hard. Best of luck to you. :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by mrd
        (137 posts)

9 years ago

Dukoff D6

I tried the NY Otto Link on my SA80 II. I just didn't like it. It was not at all what I expected. So, I resold it on ebay. I am now looking at a Metal Dukoff D6. ANY ADVICE ON THIS MOUTHPIECE.

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Dukoff D6

the dukoff is very bright, and almost tinny. it is like something on a bruce springsteen song. too tinny for jazz.

1. by mrd
            (137 posts)

9 years ago

Thank you

I needed that info. What do you know about the Bari Metals. Not the gold but the silver one.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
            (573 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Thank you

with a bari i like a standard selmer mouthpiece like a C star. i think a bari needs to sound throaty, and metal doesn't do justice to the high notes. i used a bass clarinet mouthpiece on a bari, but the intonation was off. maybe a selmer metal would be cool, but they are expensive. best of luck to you :)

3. by mrd
            (137 posts)

9 years ago

Thank you But I meant:

I mean on a Tenor Horn. A Bari (brand) Metal mouthpiece. www.saxplus.com/bari-metal-mouthpieces.html I am looking however at the silver not the Gold they are showing. I was hoping someone had some opinions on that mouthpiece on the Tenor.

Reply To Post

4. by jamterry
            (573 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Thank you But I meant:

i have heard good reports on that mouthpiece, but i have never played through one. i think you should consider the otto link new york tone master for a real dark and colorful sound. i would definitely stay away from the dukoff. i play the otto link new york tone master, and selmer C star on my mark VI. I use a 7 opening on the otto link. i recommend that you look into this mouthpiece. the C star is really good for quiet stuff. what opening are you considering?

5. by mrd
            (137 posts)

9 years ago

The Berg

The one I was looking at was a 90/0. I know the "0" is bright, but would the 90 opening soften it a little as it is not very open???

Reply To Post

6. by jamterry
            (573 posts)

9 years ago

Re: The Berg

i don't want to steer you wrong, but the harder the reed the bigger the sound. the mouthpiece that you talking about seems like it would be screechy and thin sounding. i think from 5 to 7 is as bright as you need to be. if you can blow a medium hard reed on a 7 you can blow the roof off, and still play mellow. the mouthpiece will not play FOR you. i wish that you would consider an otto link. you will get metal brighness with a nice tone quality. always have a legit mouthpiece too. the bottom line is get what you like. what type of music are you playing?

7. by mrd
            (137 posts)

9 years ago

Music

I like smooth jazz. Even though I play tenor mostly, I think one of the best Altos is Warren Hill. Boney James, Ken Navarro. But, I love playing jazz in the genre of Incognito. It varies. I just never got into the old Coltrane/Hawkins stuff. Just never liked the structure cords or leads. It seemed like practicing scales up and down and up and down.

Reply To Post