Saxophone Forum

by zoot
(21 posts)
19 years ago

braces and embrochure

I have been searching for a better sound and tone recently, and I have tried a lot of mouthpieces with varying embrochures, and I always end up sounding pretty much the same...the only difference being in volume. I have never played the sax without braces and a metal expander (a thing that sits between the roof of the mouth and tounge; might effect airflow?). I was wondering, are the metal thingies effecting my tone? I'm getting them off soon, I hope (the expander should be out already but my dentist is so damn lazy...), and I want to know if I should wait till then to buy a mouthpiece. Any help you can offer would be great.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by northernsaxman
    (5 posts)

19 years ago

Re: braces and embrochure

That is a tricky question. I had braces for 10 years, and when I started to play sax i had them on. However when i got them off... o lord did it one feel better and two, did i get better control over my horn. The sound will be affected because your embrochure will be different. However beautiful tone does not always come from the mouth peice. In most cases it is the one peice that has the least amount of influence. To improve ur sound u need to breathe better, both in and out. When u play try opening ur throat more and with ur reeds, try doing to sandpaper technique. If you dont know what that is, send me an email. I would be delighted to give you a response to any questions you mau have. Sincerely

Reply To Post