Saxophone Forum

by clarinet1st
(11 posts)
19 years ago

Bilger Mouthpiece

A friend of mine recently gave me a couple mouthpieces to try out on my Alto. The Bilger B92 is intriguing. It is hard rubber; has a large chamber and it plays great! I will be buying it from my friend. I've never heard of Bilger. Any thoughts / experiences regarding this model out there? Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by slavadog
    (1 post)

19 years ago

Re: Bilger Mouthpiece

David Bilger was my saxophone teacher for a number of years growing up. Unfortunately he passed away a few years back, but was very highly regarded in saxophone circles while he and his wife (piano) performed as a duo in the area. He was based out of Shillington, PA and while teaching developed a mouthpiece. I feel very fortunate to have the first one he distributed while I was a student (I'll have to check the actual model). I have never used another mouthpiece since, and this was over 20 years ago. After he had pretty good success with his first series of mouthpieces, he developed a jazz mouthpiece, and I believe developed a few other series. No matter the model, they are all great mouthpieces. I hope this helps shed some light on the background. I can't give you many technical details about it, but I can enlighten you to the fact that you aren't making a mistake by buying it and I can shed some light on how great of a man and saxophone teacher he was. I hope this helps.

Reply To Post