Saxophone Forum

by judyth
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Yamaha YAS 82Z & 875 EX

After many too many years on a YAS 23 (which has served me well) I'm upgrading. I'm looking seriously at Yamaha and Cannonball, but can't find any of these two Yamaha custom models locally to play. Would appreciate info about both, especially about differences between them, and how they compare with the 62II. Thanks, all. I'm a newbie on this forum.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by p-apple
    (49 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Yamaha YAS 82Z & 875 EX

they're both yamaha custom models (although they aren't actually custom-made). yas 82z is the model that Phil Woods plays and a lot of people like it. yas 875 EX is the new yas 875 model and is slightly more expensive than 82z. although lacquer is highly subjective, you can get both models in reg lacq, black/gold lacq, silver plate, and for the 82z you can get the unlacq. 62 II, 82Z, 875 EX use the same neck (G1). 62 II is a very good value for professional saxophone. 82Z and 875 EX and 62 II are very similar to one another. *A word to note: the mouthpiece that comes with these sax are only slightly better than student model mouthpiece so I'd recommend allotting some money to get a good mouthpiece if you don't have a good mouthpiece already.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Yamaha YAS 82Z & 875 EX

Couldn't agree more with p-apple. The new Yamaha's are a great value, especially the 62. I've played all of the new Yamaha models, and the 62 and 82 play very similar. I'd highly recommend one of the new Yamahas, and I think they are far better in terms of quality than the Cannonball.

Reply To Post Yahoo!