Saxophone Forum

by emilios1995
(1 post)
7 years ago

Should I buy this used mouthpiece?

Hi!

Someone is offering me an Otto Link Tone Master mouthpiece for tenor sax. It seems to be one of the early models.

The problem is that it is not in the best condition. I'll attach some photos.

The price would be around $120 USD.

Is it a good deal? Will I be able to use it as my primary mouthpiece?

This would be my first mouthpiece, since I'm just starting with the sax, but I already decided I want a good mp from the beginning. My other option is a new Vandoren V16 for $150, but I like the tone of the tone master (from what I heard on youtube)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Should I buy this used mouthpiece?

Looks like its kind of messed up. However, a good refacer could probably salvage it. You'd be looking at possibly spending another $125 to get it right. However, you'd be into it for $250 which is a good deal if it turns out to be a great mouthpiece. However, you always take a risk when you buy a piece that needs work. It could turn out not so great too. Even so, you could probably resell it and get your $250 back out of it. 

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         saxquest.com  

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Should I buy this used mouthpiece?

Since you are just starting on the sax I suggest you just use the student mouthpiece that came with the horn. The last thing in the world you need is any vintage mouthpiece! First learn to play the horn, then once have been playing for a while you'll be able to compare different mouthpieces yourself and make good choices.

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM