Saxophone Forum

by k7michal
(34 posts)
19 years ago

recommendations for alto MPC.

I just came back from a music store where I compared the Selmer C*/La Vos med reed/ rovener lig. to a Meyer hard rubber 6 medium/ same reed and lig. To my surprise I found that I liked the Selmer C* more. Mainly because it has a more mellow, slightly deeper tone. Now, I know I can never turn an alto into a Tenor, but is there a MPC out there that will give me a nice deep quality sound for the alto? The store guy recommended a Meyer hard rubber med 7, which wasn't in stock.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: recommendations for alto MPC.

Try an Otto Link Tone Edge #5 or 6 and a Rovner lig. This is the set-up I use on my Conn 6M and it really sounds sweet! The Meyer pieces are also very good. I've used several Meyer pieces also, but the Otto Link Tone Edge is the nicest alto mouthpiece I have yet to own!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by k7michal
    (34 posts)

19 years ago

BTW the alto in question is a Yamaha YAS-23.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

Check out an otto link tone edge too. thats the rubber link

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

or try a runyon custom or SR

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by k7michal
        (34 posts)

19 years ago

I'll keep those in mind.... though, the idea came to me to try a more open Selmer, since I already like the selmer sound. Is there a Selmer D or E?

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

Going to a D or E facing (a more open tip) will allow you to play louder and helps avoid stuffiness in some notes. It's not going to deepen the sound of the horn, though. Selmer S80's tend to run a little bright for someone that prefers a darker sound. You can darken things up a little with a Rovner heavy fabric ligature.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

On that note, I have just purchased a second S80 and am considering doctoring it a bit. It plays a bit darker than my current S80 probably because it's roll-over baffle isn't very broad and starts to resemble a straight baffle. It was only 25 bucks with a lig, so hey, why not! I was thinking about rounding out the square chamber, scooping out the sidewalls slightly, and perhaps widening the window for better projection. Now, how to do it?

Reply To Post

3. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

Tempted to enter the dark underworld of mouthpiece refacing? I've refashioned a number of S80's successfully. They're cheap enough to come by and the results are quite good. I've not had to reshape the chamber or window to get them to do what I want, but I have opened the tip and made a more pronounced rollover baffle, which gives it a little better attack. If I had some reflective pictures, I'd try to show you how one ended up.

Reply To Post

2. by Saxon
        (100 posts)

19 years ago

I don't know about the mouth pc but have you tried plasticover reeds for a mellow tone?

Reply To Post

1. by k7michal
          (34 posts)

19 years ago

does Bari make a platic reed? I've seen it only once.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

19 years ago

BARI makes plastic reeds for SATB. The tone is quite a bit brighter than cane. Depending on your "sound concept", that's a good or bad thing. I like 'em quite a bit. Some people hate them with a vengeance.

Reply To Post

2. by k7michal
          (34 posts)

19 years ago

I've been becoming partial to my NY8* Supertone Otto Link with the La Vos medium reed. YTS-275 Yamaha. Tenor. When I picked up the YAS-23 with selmer C* and La Vos reeds it just didn't do it for me anymore. I tried a Meyer 6 hard rubber but it just made the thing more annoying. I like the openness of the otto link though. What combination can you recommend for an alto?

Reply To Post