Saxophone Forum

by cwhiley
(25 posts)
19 years ago

Sax polishing cloths

What do you guys use and/or recommend in the world of saxophone polishing cloths? I have a nickel silver Keilwerth SX90R and believe it's high time I take care of my horn. I found a Leblanc polishing cloth specifically treated for nickel finished saxes but I dunno if it would be safe or worth it. My sax has a brushed nickel silver finish with a laquered clear coat and the brass keywork is standard polished gold laquered brass with clear laquer coat. So the nickel silver body is not really typical nickel plate, after all it's not plated at all, it's made of nickel silver. It's also brushed so it doesn't really need polishing per se, just a wipe down every now and again. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cwhiley
    (25 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Sax polishing cloths

Also, while we're on the subject of saxophone maintenance I Was wondering what method you guys used for cleaning your axes. When I was in school I used those shove it type swabs that stay in the sax but I heard these are actually worse for the instrument than nothing. Do you guys use swabs? Is there really a differece between these chamois leather ones and the silk ones. Any particular recommendations? Do you guys use swabs on your neck pieces or just run those neck brushes through them? Thanks!

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

19 years ago

There are polishing cloths made for lacquered horns. You local music store should carry them or you can check out wwbw. You don't want to use metal polishing cloths on lacquer directly. Buy a silk pull-through swab for your mpc, neck, and body when you are finished playing for that session. All the chamois ones I've seen get ripped too easily. When pulling the silk through the mpc, don't drag it along the facing. Silk is tough stuff and will wear away at the rails over time. The pad savers you jam down the body are ok to use, but only after using the pull through. If you use the pad saver (monster Q-Tip) without swabbing, then, yes, it is bad as you are just trapping the moisture and turning your horn into a Petri dish. Get the H.W. brand padsaver - not the LaVoz. the HW fibers are looser and are friendlier to the horn and body octave pip.

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

19 years ago

I just use a bit of chamois on a string with a small lead plumb weight on the end for the body and a smaller version for the neck and mpc. Those giant q tips seem to leave bits inside the horn and tend to lay on the pads and can start air-leaks Dave

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Dave's right. those padsavers start coming apart in no time too! I like the silk swabs. I use them on my horns. I've even put my mouthpieces in my dishwasher before. I use white terrycloth rags to wipe my horn with. You can by a whole bag of them cheap, and they work well. I wouldn't waste my money on some expensive cleaning cloth!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

Yes. The LaVoz shed like a golden retriever. I find the HW to not be so dusty at all. I've never developed pad leaks, though. That sounds kind of extreme - like someone used a pad saver for five years and never wiped off the pads.

Reply To Post