Saxophone Forum

by StratmanBaze
(61 posts)
19 years ago

First Gig

What advice would you give someone who is about to play his first jazz gig? You see I have one coming up in the summer and I am also the leader of my jazz band (roughly 15 people are in it).

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: First Gig

Don't screw up! Practice, decide what material you want to play before the gig and make set lists/song lists. Get their early, tune up and get everything situated. In other words, be prepared. As long as you're prepared, you have nothing to worry about. And probably the next most important piece of advice I can give you, is to have fun! As long as your audience can see that you're having a good time, they will love you even if you suck!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

Just relax and have fun, and blow the place down!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by StratmanBaze
        (61 posts)

19 years ago

I'll try my best to do that. If I want to add some extra songs...you guys know any jazz songs that are fairly easy but good?

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Just from a HS perspective...I can prolly think of a few songs that the 'older' generation might like Domino (Van Morrisson) Moondance (") Frankenstein (Edgar Winter) Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy (Unknown, I'll look it up) Most of these songs my mother knew from her generation (she's like 52) plus they sound good IMO. But, ya do whateva you want. Congrats on the gig. I hope all goes well. Heck, if you're anywhere near me I might consider payin ya a visit. Take care. *wave*

Reply To Post

2. by saxman0317
          (53 posts)

19 years ago

Boogie woogie.... The best recording i can think of is by Cab Calloway......i also belive that thats who wrote it

Reply To Post AIM

3. by StratmanBaze
          (61 posts)

19 years ago

where do you live, saxman?

Reply To Post

4. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Northeast PA...more over towards Susquehanna County. Odds of any player doing gigs out my way would be like the pope visiting Iraq I think...I could be wrong. But if ya ever come into my area let me know. I'd be more than happy to watch a pro play (to give me inspiration of course). What did you think of those songs? Would you use them if ya had to? I once again wish you luck and hope ya have fun!!

Reply To Post

5. by StratmanBaze
          (61 posts)

19 years ago

thanks man. Northeast PA...nope, last time i checked i lived a half hour from chicago :-D i've heard of those songs and i think i will check em out maybe tomorrow thanks again everyone for your advice

Reply To Post

6. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Anytime man One thing; in Domino, the bari line is awesome. You should like get people to cover alto and tenor and you could be mic'd on bari. That'd be sweet :) Take care

Reply To Post