Saxophone Forum

by Kimo
(29 posts)
19 years ago

Alto vs Tenor???

I'm going to take up the saxophone at age 65. I like the size of the Alto, but I'm told that the Tenor will be easier to play. I enjoy jazz and pop.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Alto vs Tenor???

I really haven't noticed that tenor is any more difficult than alto. When I switched to tenor from alto, I did have to endure a little back discomfort due to the greater wieght and the fact that I liked playing alto up front. Other than that, I'd go with what you'd personally prefer.

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

my tenor is eaiser to produce sound, but any horn that is properly set up should be ok. try some out at a local store if you can.

Reply To Post

3. by Kimo
    (29 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the comments. I am leaning toward the Alto because of the size. My local music shops are telling me it is difficult to play and that I should start with the Tenor. He also said to stay away from the Bundy II.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

19 years ago

Stay away from the Bundy II? That salesman doesn't know what in the hell he is talking about or is a drummer by trade. A well set-up Bundy II is a fine horn that will hold up for a long time. I played a Bundy II alto for 20 years. Let me guess... "Bundy II's are no good. You should start out on THIS tenor I have sitting over here..."

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

19 years ago

Bundy IIs are decent enough horns for beginners. I'm not so esctatic over them than some and think the modern student horns made by Yamaha are just better, but Bundy's are cheap, reliable, in-tune, and have a decent sound.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

they start out young children (3rd 4th grade) on altos. Those kids don't really have a problem with it. I'm sure you're more able then those kids... so you shouldn't really have a problem wiht alto.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by CajunSax
          (76 posts)

19 years ago

The main reason they start the kids on alto is just plain size. Can you imagine a little 10 year old holding a Tenor? - it would almost drag the floor. Plus it would be very heavy and the mouthpiece is a little big for those kids mouths. The other reason the kids start out on Alto is the cost. The sax already being many times more expensive than those trumpets & clarinets, many parents can't justify almost doubling the cost of an already expensive horn. But Kimo being a grown man should have no problem stepping right into a Tenor. It depends on what you want to play.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

"Can you imagine a little 10 year old holding a Tenor? - it would almost drag the floor. Plus it would be very heavy and the mouthpiece is a little big for those kids mouths". Not only can I imagine; been there and done that! Dad agreed that the tenor was a little too much for me to handle, and insisted that starting out on Clarinet (which I thought at the time was a girl's instrument) would make me a better sax player. Perhaps he was right, but at age 11 the LeBlanc clarinet accidently got broken and I started dragging the tenor to school! Luckily the horn survived with only a couple dents that were easily removed when I had her overhauled a couple years ago. The case didn't fair too well though! Dad even put little casters on one end of the case so I could stand the case on end and roll it down the hall because it was too heavy for me to carry very far.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I know a lady who has a very nice Bundy II for sale for $450 if you're interested.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Kimo
        (29 posts)

19 years ago

sax_maniac your right he did mention that. I'm also looking at a Milwaukee 720 Tenor,(Black Nickel), on the web. Any thoughts? As you can tell, I don't know a hell of alot about this. Thanks everyone for the help. Kimo

Reply To Post

1. by Tully
          (49 posts)

19 years ago

I would stick with a Yamaha YTS-23. It's definitely the best student horn made. However, a YTS-62 is only a couple hundred more, but a MUCH better horn; it could last you a lifetime. Go to wwbw.com and see for yourself. There are people on eBay selling the Yamaha brand-new for excellent prices. The big four brands are Yamaha, Yanagisawa, Selmer, and Keilwerth, and for a first horn, I would definitely stick with one of those (but my advice is to avoid Selmers altogether unless you have at least $4000-$5000 to spend).

Reply To Post AIM

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

---------------------------------------------------- I would stick with a Yamaha YTS-23. It's definitely the best student horn made. However, a YTS-62 is only a couple hundred more, but a MUCH better horn; it could last you a lifetime. ----------------------------------------------------- That's what makes me wonder why so many people recommend the student Yamahas. I have a YAS-23. It's tone is a bit bright, but otherwise pure, and it projects well. It's keywork is lightyears ahead of the old BundyIIs I used to play, but I wouldn't mistake it for any Pro Yamaha, Yanagisawa, or Selmer I've ever tried and it it can't be that much better than the Jupiters, Vitos, and new Selmer student horns. The Yamaha 23's high retail/resale value is probably due to the fact that so many people recommend them, which drives the price/demand higher.

Reply To Post

3. by Tully
          (49 posts)

19 years ago

Kimo, since you've never played before, perhaps you should rent a horn for three months (a Yamaha 23, if possible), and then, assuming you want to continue playing, try out a Yamaha 62 and some other higher-end horns and decide what to purchase. That way, should sax not be as great as you expect, you'll only lose at most ~$150, as opposed to the several hundred dollars a new horn loses after it has been used. By the way, I really highly recommend that you take lessons from day one. You'll improve much more quickly than you would on your own, and I find that the better I get, the more I enjoy playing.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by mark7
          (30 posts)

19 years ago

i agree, maybe you should rent first...and if you decide to pursue, may i suggest a yamaha yas-23 (arguably the best student horn to date). a bundy II is ok too. DONT LISTEN TO SALES TALK.

Reply To Post

5. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

see what I mean?

Reply To Post

6. by Tully
          (49 posts)

19 years ago

I can't figure out why WWBW has the 475 for about $300 less than the 23. That sure doesn't make sense. Incidentally, the eBay dealers to whom I referred earlier are selling brand-new YTS-62II's for about $1950!

Reply To Post AIM

7. by Kimo
          (29 posts)

19 years ago

I have been offered a Milwaukee Tenor for $950. Any comments??

Reply To Post

8. by Tully
          (49 posts)

19 years ago

I've never played a Milwaukee tenor, but I would bet it's made in China (or perhaps one of the really bad, i.e. below the quality of Antigua, Jupiter, etc. Taiwanese factories), in which case $950 is an absolute rip-off. If someone knows otherwise, though, please correct me. Who is offering to sell it to you? A music store or a private party?

Reply To Post AIM

9. by Kimo
          (29 posts)

19 years ago

Tully It's jimlaabsmusic.com He has a great site for all kind of music and instruments. He is located in Wisconsin. It seems like a nice horn. Black nickel, leather pads, etc.. The Keiworths, Selmers and Yamahas of the world are out of my reach. It seems when I read the posts I am told that I should buy one of those. Actually Milwaukee Horns "were" originall made in the USA. But like you say they are most likely foreign made now. Thanks for the input. Kimo

Reply To Post

10. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

19 years ago

for anyone learning sax always start with alto . It is easier in many ways and more enjoyable since it has a more vast repertoire. Listen to a piece called "oraison pour sax et orgue" to hear the true difference . Think how many beautiful Tenor tones are there in the sax world ? A good sax quartet always has a weak point ,,,,,,the tenor .

Reply To Post

11. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

------------------------------------------------------------ Think how many beautiful Tenor tones are there in the sax world ? A good sax quartet always has a weak point ,,,,,,the tenor . ------------------------------------------------------------ I don't follow. I've heard a number of quartets who's tenor produces a tone as refined as he rest. I think that one of the problems with Legit Tenor playing is that there really hasn't been a standard set for it. Generally in quartet or classical work, the alto is supposed to sound like Mule or Rascher, the Baritone like a Cello, the Soprano like a turbocharged oboe played into a sock drawer, but there really is no frame of reference for the tenor. Certainly there are a lot of great tenor tones out there in general: think Getz, Hawkins, etc, but these aren't classical players. So, one typically is hard on the tenor in the quartet because they don't know quite how it ought to sound, In my opinion.

Reply To Post

12. by Kimo
          (29 posts)

19 years ago

I talked to Kessler Music today nad his Soloist 442 is made in China yet it is getting rave reviews.

Reply To Post

13. by Tully
          (49 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, as with any geenralization (that Chinese saxes are junk), there are always exceptions. I was talking more about the $250 horns on eBay. Like I said, I'm not familiar with Milwaukee saxes, but if it's a good horn, and you can't find a nicer used one at the same price, go for it. Since you seem to be OK with the $950 price tag on the Milwaukee, have you considered a Kessler Custom (the model above the Solist)? I don't think they're available yet (although they should be any day now), but Dave Kessler wouldn't release junk, and he has a good return policy just in case.

Reply To Post AIM

14. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

19 years ago

If you want to hear a tenor standard there is one . try to find a recording of Ravels's bolero by the Montreal Symphony with Dutois as conductor the tenor is played by Gilles Moisan. When Londeix came to Montreal and heard him he was floored . Dutois also said of him "He is The Best Sax sound I have ever heard ". Unfortunately he passed away four years ago of cancer.

Reply To Post

15. by Kimo
          (29 posts)

19 years ago

Tully I spoke with Dave K. just yesterday and we talked about his new custom model and it sounds real good. Price tag: $895 with an Otto link set up. He said they should be in by the end of April. The Soloist is a wait of 3-4 months. It looks like the Custom for me. I'll let everyone know when I get it.

Reply To Post

16. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

Are you goin' for the alto or tenor? Consider soprano or bari maybe?

Reply To Post

17. by nectarios
          (20 posts)

19 years ago

Hello. Just want to say that I am also a beginner who started on a new Yamaha YTS-275 tenor and I am extremely happy with it. I was looking for the ultimate horn/mouthpiece to start with and simply did what most people on here told me to... get a horn from a company that has a good reputation and not worry too much about upgrading the mpc before I even produce my first tone. I am still on the standard cheap Yamaha mouthpiece that came with the horn and I am totally comfortable and very happy with it. My advice (for what its worth since I am a newbie), get a horn from a solid brand and start playing, because the more you look for the ultimate deal, the more you keep your self from the joys of actually learning/playing the horn.

Reply To Post

18. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, it was years after I started until I had a horn that was even semi decent. Just get playing!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

19. by Kimo
          (29 posts)

19 years ago

Called Sat. and ordered a Kessler Custom Pro Tenor. Comes with an Otto Link set up. Thanks everyone for your great comments

Reply To Post

20. by Tully
          (49 posts)

19 years ago

Congratualtions, let us know how you like it. Did you get the OL50 or OL7Pro mouthpiece? FYI, they're not actaully Links (rather, they're based on a vintage Link), but you probably know that already.

Reply To Post AIM

21. by Kimo
          (29 posts)

19 years ago

I got the OL50. I also have a Bamber #6 mpc with a BG Standard lig. Kessler is also including Vandoren V12 #2 reeds. If anyone logs on the the Kessler site I got the Antique finish Tenor.

Reply To Post

22. by Kimo
          (29 posts)

19 years ago

Forgot...a comment re: Jim Laab. He also sells on Ebay but gives no guarantee. All sales are final. Also his Milwaukee Tenors are $100+ cheaper on ebay than on his site.

Reply To Post

23. by Tully
          (49 posts)

19 years ago

The antiqued finished looks really nice--good choice!

Reply To Post AIM

24. by Kimo
          (29 posts)

19 years ago

My Tenor arrived today. What a beauty. Came with the Kessler 50OL7 mpc w/metal lig. Kessler suggested that I use the Vandoren V12 #2 reed. Since I'm a rookie, I switched to the Rico Royal 1.5 Any comments on the Bamber Concert 7 w/BG standard lig??

Reply To Post

25. by CajunSax
          (76 posts)

19 years ago

u might have better luck with a softer reed at first. Once you develop embouchure and breathing, then you can play a harder reed with more control. Always best to make TONE your top priority. Volume can be turned up on the PA as much as you want. I'd suggest you getting some 2.5 or 3's (aka medium - medium soft for La Voz) so u don't get frustrated with those harder 1.5 Rico's. Personally, I play Vandorens, but i mix it up, sometimes JAVA's sometimes V16's. I used to be into the harder reeds when I thought louder was better. But in recent years, I've had more success with going softer. I use 2.5's probably the most. I don't know much about the Bamber Concert, but 7 usually means a normal or average opening...which is fine for you for now. I use Rovner ligs, but the stock lig should work fine. My suggestion is to not worry so much right now about having the same setup as the pros...just get yourself a nice sound and the rest will come later. The sales guy will want u to buy a $400 Jody Jazz mpc for his commission report, but u just need a solid hard rubber mpc to get you going. Play what you have for now, and as you develop and listen to other players, start experimenting with different setups. To this day I switch up mine all the time. Depending on the song, style, live, or recording...too many variables. Just enjoy...and congrats on joining our brotherhood :)

Reply To Post Yahoo!

26. by Kimo
          (29 posts)

19 years ago

CaliKjn: Thanks for the advice and help on reed choice. I am going to order La Voz reeds per your suggestion. I'll most likely have a great many ???'s as I go along. Thanks again

Reply To Post

27. by CajunSax
          (76 posts)

19 years ago

the reason i mentioned la Voz in that context is because they stamp their reeds with the words "Med.Hard" or "Soft" in green letters instead of using the # system (i.e 2.5, 3). I think the last time i used La Voz was in high school, but that isnt because there's anything wrong with them...i've just had luck with the vandorens i've been using. So, what I'm suggesting is a softer reed...whatever brand doesn't really matter, just that 1.5 u have is pretty hard. Have u had any luck with it yet? keep the questions coming...no worries

Reply To Post Yahoo!

28. by Kimo
          (29 posts)

19 years ago

My horn came with (2) Vandoren V12 #2 and I have been using them as the Rico Royal 1.5 does not work well for me. I will keep you posted. Thanks again

Reply To Post

29. by SaxAppeal
          (67 posts)

19 years ago

I play on Vandoren #3's. I tried 3 1/2's they didn't work too well. I started with 2's or 2 1/2's some say 2 1/2's sound better, just personal preference.

Reply To Post

30. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

I like 3s. I have an unopened pack of 3 1/2s that i still want to try

Reply To Post