Saxophone Forum

by gatlin88
(13 posts)
19 years ago

good lead alto piece

i have a selmer series II silver plate alto and i was wondering if anybody knows of a good lead alto mouthpiece for jazz band

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: good lead alto piece

I used to play a silver plated Selmer, and I found the Selmer Metal Jazz mouthpiece to not only give a nice clean jazz tone while being quite easy to play, but it's silver plating matches the horn and looks pretty slick. That mouthpiece also gave me the best intonation I ever found on the Series III horns. At minimum, a "D" or "E" facing is needed to lead. A C* facing might not be enough. Depends on if you're playing with a microphone, the size of the band, the forum, etc. www.saxmaniax.com/sax/as03.htm What you're actually seeing in the pictures is a Selmer Metal Classical mpc, which I do NOT recommend for jazz at all. I find those decent for legit, but not my favorite by any means.

Reply To Post

2. by Rabbit
    (4 posts)

19 years ago

Depends what kind of lead sound you are going for. A Marshal Royal (Basie Big Band 50's-60's) or a Johnny Hodges sound would require a hard rubber medium chambered mouthpiece. I love both of them and I use an RPC mouthpiece. (Saxmpc.com) Wonderful piece. But dont rule out some metal pieces either. Bottom line is most sax players have more mouthpieces than they care to admit. Have fun!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Otto Link Tone Edge #5 or 6 facing, 2-2 1/2 reed. Great mouthpiece! I've tried many alto pieces and THIS is the BEST one I have found!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

19 years ago

How much brass do you have to compete with? Are you mic'd? My experience with lead alto suggests a sort of balancing act- tone vs. volume. The Johnny Hodges sound is truly a thing of beauty (I've been fortunate to hear it in person), but if you're being buried by 5 little Maynard Fergusons in the trumpet section.... I've had to use a metal Berg 90/1 in some situations. That being said, the Link is a really flexible piece that you can push pretty hard if you need to, and you can get one for a good price. I'd check one out.

Reply To Post

2. by Island991
      (22 posts)

19 years ago

anyone tried the jody jazz esp? just got one and still growing into it but it was by far the best feeling mpc for me. feels good playing lead alto so far, havent had a real need to blow madly yet but i have confidence it would do the job. and when you gotta do a feature ballad it is awesome as well.

Reply To Post

1. by bmcguire
        (45 posts)

19 years ago

Beechler S8S hands down! I love it because it is so versatile. I can blast off some Gerald Albright Altissimo work, play Take 5 and blow some Cannonball with the same setup. I use it with Vandoren Java 3's and either my Oleg or Winslow ligature. I don't think I'll ever play another Alto mouthpiece!

Reply To Post