Saxophone Forum

by cyote23
(2 posts)
7 years ago

Squeaking middle notes (on the Tenor)

First of all, I am generally sorry that about the fourm thing, I am new to this website, and I wasn't for sure which thing to put it under, so I just went with this. I play the Tenor saxophone, and I am having some issues with it. I've been playing for nearly two years, at this point, and I have finally switched to a new instrument that is not ranked as a "bgeninner" instrument. I have gotten a professional saxophone, which is causing some new issues for me. Everything sounds fine, but the middle notes will randomly squak, and-to my knowledge-I do not think I am doing anything wrong with my embrouchure (I've played for a while). Are new instrumens just like this, or is there something wrong with me or the instrument? It's been a while since I started playing,s o I've forgotten what it's like to play with a new saxophone. Whenever I try to play an F, E, or D the note will sometimes come out really well, and at other times, it will make a somewhat squeaky noise. Whenever that does happen, it literally feels like the note won't play normally as I hold it out. I think this could be an issue with the keys, but I wouldn't know. I only got the instrument a couple of days ago, so I could jsut be overreacting to the change of functionality with it, but I am concerned. My Christmas concert is in a little over three weeks, along with the Jazz Band concert, so I am kind of freaking out about if I will be able to fix this issue by that time. I'm playing using a vandoren optimum mouthpiece and a yahmaha ligature, so I don't think those things are the issue. I am sorry about the length of this post, once again, I am inexperienced with this website, and I can never write something that is short. Can you please tell me how to fix this issue or give me tips on it if you've made it this far?

Additional note : I've seen a lot of posts about "Squeaky D's", but I don't know if the condition of the others posting it really apply to me as they have alto saxophones, or little experience with the instrumet, so I also apologize if you feel that this type of post has been done before.
Thanks, bye. 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by bandmates_think_im_Saxy
    (8 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Squeaking middle notes (on the Tenor)

Did you get a used saxophone? If so, it probably has a leak and you should get that fixed RIGHT NOW. If not, they yes it's your embouchure. Maybe you reed is also to soft for your new saxophone. Just take it in to get looked at.

Keegan B.

Reply To Post

1. by cyote23
      (2 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Squeaking middle notes (on the Tenor)

Thanks, but I think I just needed to get more used to the new instrument. it's playing pretty well now, and it only really does this when my reeds are getting old.

uh..

Reply To Post