Saxophone Forum

by TheDakota
(1 post)
19 years ago

1930 Buescher True-Tone?

Hi all, When I was a kid, I took saxaphone lessons, and my parents bought me a vintage alto sax. Although I haven't played forever, I recently was inspired to reclaim the sax from their house. It's a Buescher- silver with gold on the inside of the horn, engraved flowers, and the original case, with a purple velvet interior, and mouthpiece cover (I'm pretty sure, at least). The serial number is 256534. This number doesn't appear on any of the charts I've seen. Does anyone have any information about this sax? Am I correct in assuming that it's from about 1930? Will the value be damaged if I clean it? Any ideas on the value? Although I'm not planning on selling it, I'm curious about its worth.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: 1930 Buescher True-Tone?

Sounds original. Ahhh the "pimp daddy" purple lined cases! You've got to love that purple.....and the smell of a 75 year old case! Sniff sniff!!! Cleaning the sax can be tricky. To properly clean it, it should be disassembled. If you have the sax overhauled and repadded, have them clean and polish it at that time. A Buescher True Tone alto of that vintage is worth $900-$1200 depending on condition.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

19 years ago

Your horn dates between 1930 and 1935 and is a good vintage True Tone. If you intend to clean the Silver finish, make sure that you use a gentle, non abrasive silver cleaner. I highly recommend HAGERTYS SIVER POLISH, available at finer jewelry or gourmet cooking supply shops. True Tones aren't going for as much money as Buescher Tophat and Cane 400 models etc. but are super horns none the less. Take a look at www.vintagesax.com as Gayle, the owner, is a Buescher devotee and has a nice selection of them pictured on her site. Also Pete Hales' www.saxpics.com has some very informative info. Cheers.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

19 years ago

Damned Jim, thats two in a row, and on the same day! Do you have a Vulcan mind meld on me or what? You beat me to the draw by seconds yet again. Glad this isn't a duel! Lol. Cheers.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Haha, I've been gone most of the day! You're slipping Mike! Come on now! I've been checking more often because some barisax999 punk got me a little ticked off a couple nights ago with his "anti-American" posts! I'm just looking for more opportunities to make him look like the IDIOT that he is! But anyway.....whats new? I've been playing that Buescher TH&C tenor quite a bit. I still love my 10M, but I really like the Buescher. It's a good cross between my 10M and Super 20.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

Hi Jim, Yeah I know, I'm getting a little slow on the draw the older I get! I missed the Barisax999 ordeal, but I'm with you on the anti- American troll posts, why should we stand for it? Tell him to get lost. I heard about your Tophat and Cane, they are indeed superb horns. Great sound/action/looks/construction. I love mine as well, just wish mine was nearer to mint in terms of finish than it is. Don't feel guilty about letting your Conn rest for awhile. I switch back and forth with my various horns all the time, and am always amazed when I come back to the Conns. It's good to have choices, even if it equals zero space for anything else.:)

Reply To Post

2. by xevenz
        (2 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Buescher True-Tone

funny thing, I went ot my storage today and found an old Buescher (sn 56408) that was given to me 26 years ago. It needs some work/pads, but is in great shape/tarnished but no dents. Any ideas of value and interest in putting it in some talented hands? [email protected]

Reply To Post

3. by Larry B
        (1 post)

14 years ago

Coincidence. I have the exact same story as "The Dakota". Just took the sax out of hiding in it's purple case. My SN is close to yours 219079. My story is that my folks bought this for me at an old pawn shop in the mid 60's. My dad and I cleaned it up and I used it for years. in the mid 80s I was playing in a "Big Band" and my wife bought me a new Yamaha. I heard the difference and went back to my Buescher. I haven't played it for years- but intend to take lessons again. I'm curious if mine has the same relative value as your's. But I could never part with it.

Reply To Post