Saxophone Forum

by O_o
(9 posts)
19 years ago

Frank Holton L.P. Tenor

I got a holton l.p. tenor. I did a serial number search, and it matched up to somthing made around mid 1909. the bell says 'FrankHolton[???]' 'Elkhorn' 'wis' and it's a Bb, not C even though the C & Bb look identical. i was wondering if anyone had more backround info on it, and knew more than just the name of it. All I know is that it's in superb condition except that it needs a repadding and some springs tightened. I would love to know more about this horn. It's really nice and looks cool.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by vipegrad
    (47 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Frank Holton L.P. Tenor

I have a Holton L.P soprano circa 1911. These were made by Frank Holton as the bell says. He was made most famous with his brass instruments of the time although he did make every band instrument of the time. Some people belive the Holton sax is shotty and of low caliber because Holton did not specialize in the sax. I have found however, that the key work is phenominal, tone melow and soft, and price to be low. Not many Holtons exist as Holton was baught by Leblanc which carried the Holton brand sax into the 70's i believe. I have never seen a Holton tenor, but would be very interested in finding one for myself.

Reply To Post

1. by O_o
      (9 posts)

19 years ago

The Tenor is in pretty nice shape for something so old, only a little oxidation around the weld points. The keys seem to be a little bent up and out of shape, I played what I could on it, it played exceptionally given that a few pads where missing and the other pads where all a dry felt. Are the pads on the soprano a yellow felt too? Thanks for the help!

Reply To Post

1. by vipegrad
        (47 posts)

19 years ago

I dont believe the pads are yellow felt. They are more than likely not the originals as it has been relaquered at least once in it's life time, a fact which I forgot to mention in my previous post. The acid bleed though on my sax around the tone holes is a tell tale sign that it is not on it's first coat of laquer. I would be interested in finding a holton tenor as that is my main instrument. I have a yanigasawa currently. The keywork on that fits my hands like a glove, much in the way my holton soprano does. Hope I could help you.

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

19 years ago

I too am the proud owner of a Holton soprano (c.1912) and I have found it to be a fine axe. Good intonation (as sopranos go...) and great tone. I once had a more recent Holton tenor (no idea how much newer) and found the quality to be inferior- from the looks to the sound, just a lackluster old dog. Lucky you to have an older one! Give us a post when you get it fixed up so as to satisfy my now piqued curiosity. (I believe Frank Holton was a member of the John Philip Sousa band.) Check Saxpics as they supply a lot of good info.

Reply To Post

2. by Chrispen
        (1 post)

10 years ago

I have a Holton Sax with no dents no dings and is in perfect condition made in 1909 seria; 69709 LP

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
          (420 posts)

10 years ago

You are probably looking at a serial number chart for brass instruments. Holton first started making saxophones in 1915. Here's a link to the first brochure that Holton distributed in 1915 to announce their entry into the saxophone world. Can you post a photo of your instrument here. I would be happy to help you identify it.

http://www.saxophone.org/museum/publications/id/198

Cheers,
               Mark Overton
               www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by Txjazzman
            (1 post)

6 years ago

I have a gold-plated Frank Holton saxophone with a serial number of 14247.  It has a brushed gold body, and bright gold inside the engraving on the bell.  Can you tall me when it was made, perhaps, and the approximate value?  I had it overhauled and balanced about 10 years ago, and am very pleased with the tone and action of the instrument. 

Reply To Post