Saxophone Forum

by youpa938
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Giving the sax a bath

I was talking to a player at a bar the other night, and he told me that before each gig he fills the bath with warm water and gives his sax a quick dunking. I've never heard of anyone doing this, has anyone tried this or knows someone who has? The guy reckoned it made the sax play a lot nicer, easier down the bottom end and with a nicer tone. I thought it would be seriously bad for the pads to immerse them in water but he said he's been doing it for about 5 years and hasn't had any issues. I'd like to know some other people's thoughts on this matter!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Giving the sax a bath

doesn't sound like a good idea, im not an expert but i was to understand you would like to keep the pads as dry as possible. maybe his horn has lots of leaks and wetting them swells the pads to creat a better seal? can't think of a good reason to do this.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

19 years ago

I'm with KJ. He was either pulling your leg or he has pad leak issues. Wetting the pads will certainly make the pads swell - making up for some action adjustments that need to be made. Hopefully he air dries his horn at the end of each gig or his case is a massive Petri dish.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

No kidding! DON'T GIVE YOUR SAX A BATH!!! Water does not do leather any favors, and you will ruin your pads in short order! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

Aye, I have bathed my saxes before, but only after the keys have been removed, which is more trouble than its worth for a gig.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by EdTheGreat
        (11 posts)

19 years ago

hmm I think the guy might have had to much to drink that night....

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I just learned that Keilwerth SX-90's have waterproof pads! I still don't think giving the sax a bath is a good idea though.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

19 years ago

While I've never had any major issues bathing a horn, I highly recommend NOT dropping the soap when showering with a straight sop.

Reply To Post

1. by martysax
              (148 posts)

19 years ago

I know this may be hard to believe, but ther may have been either a misunderstanding or elaboration occuring while drinking. I think it happened to me once. No, maybe not. And sax_maniac, is that a nino? Soap got in my eyes!

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
              (984 posts)

19 years ago

Actually, I'm 6' 3", so I'm generaly not in danger unless it's a straight tenor.

Reply To Post

3. by selmer 4evr
              (309 posts)

19 years ago

Giving the sax a bath?? I heard something very close to this. It seems that some old timers would run a periodic gentle wash of milk in the horn (while of course protecting the pads). I have asked some sax repair guys if this was true and received a positive response . Why they did this I have never figured out nor been told ?

Reply To Post

4. by johnsonfromwisconsin
              (767 posts)

19 years ago

it's all nonsense to me.

Reply To Post

5. by Jellybean666
              (31 posts)

19 years ago

Wow, this convo looks sooo wrong! {hey! im only 16 and have a very dirty mind! Its not my fault it all looks like inuendos!!}

Reply To Post

6. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I've heard of this before also. It is said that an enzyme in the milk helps to prevent the horns from tarnishing and neutralizes the acid in saliva. To a certain extent, this is probably true, but I can't think of anything that smells worse than sour milk! Not to mention, the damage it can do to the pads!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

7. by youpa938
              (2 posts)

19 years ago

I assure you that I was fully sober and the guy seemed pretty with it as well! I know that it sounds bizarre and that's why I thought I'd ask if anyone else had heard of it. Thanks for the responses, though it appears some people haven't heard of safe sax in the shower :P

Reply To Post

8. by O_o
              (9 posts)

19 years ago

When I got my marching alto repadded, I got all the pads redone with waterproof pads for marching in rain as we sometimes march in heavy rain. Apparently the pads don't swell in water, and they don't rot or anything. I haven't had any problems. I still wouldn't advise washing the sax because it's just not good for the sax.

Reply To Post