Saxophone Forum

by greensaxhorn
(3 posts)
19 years ago

I know it's not a Selmer!

Hi, I have aquired a vintage saxophone and have been doing some research as to it's history and value. The case says SELMER and the sax has a SELMER / NEW YORK stencil. From what I have gathered so far, I know that it is probably a CONN. It is engraved with PATD DEC 8, 1914 C P10940 L It is silverplated and does not have rolled tone holes. I think that the C means C melody and the L means low pitch. I have seen lots of pics that look exactly like this one except for the SELMER stencil. Would anyone have more information? Would this sax have more value than usual? I have been watching Ebay and the bids for a vintage Conn c melody have been up to around $300 - $600.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: I know it's not a Selmer!

That's exactly what it is; a Conn C Melody stencil. Does yours have a straight neck? Does it have a microtuner? A dumb collector might pay more just for the Selmer name, but if it doesn't have the microtuner, which most stencils did not, the Conn New Wonder would be the most valuable.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by greensaxhorn
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

OK...I'm lost. I think it has a straight neck, but I have no idea what a microtuner is.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The microtuner is a device on the neck which you turn to fine tune the instrument. www.saxpics.com/the_gallery/conn/new_wonder1/c_melody/straight_neck/silver/119xxx/b.jpg This link shows a picture of the microtuner neck

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by greensaxhorn
          (3 posts)

19 years ago

Thank for the pic. The neck looks very similiar to that. How can I add a picture?

Reply To Post

2. by gr8inblack
        (1 post)

13 years ago

I realize that your e-mail is now nearly six years old, but it caught my eye as I was researching my own tenor sax. Mine appears to be vintage, silverplated with a serial number in the 84000 series in excellent condition. The patent date is also Dec 8, 1914, but it is stenciled as low pitch SELMER/NEW YORK horn. It has no C stencil. Did you conclude that yours was a CONN stencil? If so, what was it's value?

Reply To Post