Saxophone Forum

by Aden
(3 posts)
19 years ago

Playing the Alto Sax

Hi everybody. My name is Aden. I have a question: What is the best way to learn to play fast. Ihave been learning for about ten years now and i dont seem to be getting anywhere

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Playing the Alto Sax

I think one of the best teaching tools are some of the videos that are out right now. I would also practice working on scales and playing along with CD's. Knowing all the scales is critical. As a saxophone player, you need to be able to transpose and play in various keys. Saxophones are pitched either in Bb or Eb, with the exception of the C Melody and a few others, so we need to be able to quickly transpose from Concert C to the key that corresponds to the pitch of the saxophone. For example, if a song is in the Concert key of G, the corresponding key on a Bb tenor would be A, or on an Eb alto, the key would be E. Knowing the scales will also help with fingerings, and then everything else will all come together. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Aden
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

Thanx guys. I'll try your advise.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

Aden do you mean fast as in speed? For piano and sax both i try to play scales or a tune as i though am hanging on for life. Play like your running for you life; until your fingers are dead. Rest for fifteen minutes, and then slow the stuff down. You will be amazed at how much easier it is to play. The easier it is, the faster it will get. Gradually you will bring your speed up. Videos will never replace a teacher. Practice relentlessly!!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ