Saxophone Forum

by hawkman112757
(7 posts)
19 years ago

new mouthpeice

any one out ther have a suggestion on what the best mouthpeice for a tenor sax would be ,for help in the low register on the lowbflat,lowb, low c#, currently playing a stueben tenor with a brillhart metal#5 high register is great but cant get the very low register notes to come in with ease, been playing ,and taking lessons for two years , so im pretty sure its not the embucher. thanks ! hawkman112757

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxyjeff
    (25 posts)

19 years ago

Re: new mouthpeice

I started playing again 7 years ago and still getting lessons. Over the years my embrochure and chops have changed. I started out with a vintage silverite dukoff matched to a cannonball tenor. Played well for me then. When I bought my first VI tenor I sold the CB to my friend, along with the piece, and tried several pieces finally choosing a vintage rubber Strathon Adjustatone. The adjustatone is now called a Zinner and you can buy them at WW&BW. Whats cool is that they have an adjustable baffle. Richard Elliot plays with one (the oldvintage strathon) and you can see them in pics. The Zinner is a newer plastic or rubber compound not like the old ones. The adjustable baffle allows you to use the same piece for classical, jazz, and in the high Brite posiition funk/rock/R&B. Last year I started looking again only because the old Strathons are hard to come by and I like to try them out first. Paul, my mentor, had several of the new metal Claude Lakeys (outstanding!!!) and I played several of them. I then tried Olegs new goldplated piece and.....they were so close in sound man. The Lakeys are around $150 and the Oleg cost me $375. I think the real reasons the Oleg over the Lakey was: 1) I had a few extra bucks 2) I also was using Olegs new neck. I wanted to work with Oleg's system for awhile. For me the Lakey was so close that my personal bias towards being all Oleg probably steered me more that way than not. Thos Lakey's could play it all too, just like the Oleg...Just like my strathon that I still have and still use once in a while. BTW last year me and my buddy were jammin. We traded mouthpieces and horns and I couldnt get any sound out of my old Dukoff on either the VI or the Cannonball. Saxyjeff

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

19 years ago

Assuming the horn is in good shape with no leaks, you'll likely get the best response on the low notes with a medium or closed tip mouthpiece with a long, ACCURATE facing.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

blow through the horn. i mean think about how far that air has to travel to pipe those notes. make sure you have those pads closed. used a softer reed and a more closed mouthpiece. you van drop your draw a bit, but i think you should be thinking about getting that air through the horn. metal mouthpieces are great, but i think that a 5 might me too open for you. best of luck :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ