Saxophone Forum

by cynot
(21 posts)
19 years ago

Which Saxophone?

Hey guys, I'm thinking of buying a saxophone and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything at all about the following saxs: Amati ATS32 LA Sax 850 Yamaha YTS475 Keilwerth ST90 which one should I get? Anyone tried any of these saxs?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by west
    (242 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Which Saxophone?

Okay here it is. My friend (good sax player) Tried the L.A Sax and said that they sucked. I have personally tried the Yamaha yss-475 soprano and no matter which kind you get(alto, tenor, soprano etc.)They're very good. I've heard alot of good things about the Keilwerth and some decent things about the amati too. So i can't help you much, but i recommend the Yamaha Yss-475.

Reply To Post

1. by cynot
      (21 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks west Of the three, which one the rest of you guys think is the best: Keilwerth ST90 Yamaha YTS 475 or the Amati?

Reply To Post

1. by west
        (242 posts)

19 years ago

You guys/gals can't ignore this post forever. This Guy? Girl? is in the middle of a genuine crisis. Anyway. What type of sax are you going for? (Soprano:),Tenor:), Alto:(, Baritone:))

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I take it you're looking for a tenor? Of those that you mentioned, I would highly recommend the Yamaha YTS 475, or for a couple hundred more, the YTS 62. These horns are built very well. The sound is fairly neutral. Depending on the mouthpiece and set-up they can sound great on jazz or legit. The YTS 62 is considered an intermediate-pro level horn with a lot of pro features. The Keilwerth ST 90 is a good student-intermediate level horn. They're made to the same specifications as the Keilwerth SX 90, only by Jupiter, and without the SX 90's finess (engravings, real pearl inlays, higher quality pads, etc.) It's not an SX-90 in other words, but the 2 share the same basic design and many pro features. The LA Sax models vary considerably. I have tried some that I thought played very well and others that didn't. They heavily lacquer a lot of their models which effects the resonation and sound to an extent. I also think they have some quality control issues they need to work on. I'm really not to familiar with Amati. From everything I have heard, they are a decent sax, but I haven't played one yet. Of those you mentioned, I think the Yamaha is probably the best bang for the buck, but I would recommend playing each of them to see which one you like best! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by cynot
          (21 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks alot guys, the posts so far have been really helpful. I'm going for the tenor, and I have been leaning towards the Yamaha 475. Is the 62 that much more $? And is it worth it?

Reply To Post

3. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

Good choice. the tenor rocks

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I'm thinking the 62 is about $400 more than the 475.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by aravaioli
        (24 posts)

19 years ago

Among the list you have, only the YTS-475 is a really good saxophone, although not considered as a professional one. I had a YTS-62II for a month and I sold it soon because its sound was very unexciting, even though the ease of play was remarkable. I then got an used B&S 2001 that outclasses it just in every aspect (except maybe its look, but I don't care). Now that's a pro horn! I suggest you to look into the Allora tenor sold at www.wwbw.com for about the price of the YTS-475: it is built by B&S and seems to be the same 2001 design, just renamed. I can assure you that if it plays as my B&S 2001 is worth twice as much than what it sells now.

Reply To Post

1. by cynot
          (21 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks aravaioli. Does anyone else know anything about the saxophone listed above? (Allora) Can the Yamaha YTS475 sound/perform as good as a pro horn? I'm just starting to play the sax but I don't want a student horn.

Reply To Post

1. by west
            (242 posts)

19 years ago

I have read good reviews about the allora and the yts-475 is an intermediate. My 475 soprano plays better than my friends 875

Reply To Post

1. by cynot
              (21 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks west. anybody else try the allora?

Reply To Post

2. by phathorn
              (165 posts)

19 years ago

I own a guardala tenor which is similar to the allora...also own a yamaha 875 alto with a GREAT sound. Is it exciting? Well, ultimately it's the player who determines whether or not a sound is 'exciting', just MHO

Reply To Post