Saxophone Forum

by Strikrr
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Soprano Sax Rental?

I live in an area where there are two shops that carry horns in general. Neither of them carry anything in a soprano. I have been playing alto for almost 15 years and wanted to venture out and try a soprano a bit. At this point I don't know if I will like/even be good at playing a soprano so I would like to either a. Find something that is not that expensive (less than 600.00) but is good quality to buy. I am a firm believer that there is not a lot of point in trying to learn on a cruddy instrument but am very aware that the price listed above may not get me anywhere. b. Find somewhere online that I can rent a horn for a bit to see if it something that I will even enjoy. Any suggestions on either? If a. what are some good things to look for...ie features, models etc. If b. anyone know of somewhere you can rent online for a month or two to just simply get my feet wet? I know that this may be a far fetched idea simply because of the amount of theft that goes on in the instrument world...so I am open to suggestions.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by EL Seano
    (255 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Soprano Sax Rental?

Man....any horn for less than six hundred ain't worth playing. I say this from experience, you only get what you pay for. Dunno 'bout the rentals. I own a B&H silver soprano, its great fun to play around on but like all sopranos, intonation is a problem. You'll probably hear this alot but try go for a reliable brand like a Yani or Selmer, i know they cost an arm and a leg, but they are well worth it if your serious about music. When the time comes for you to purchase the horn, just ask if you can try it out.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

19 years ago

Plan on spending at least $1000 for a new soprano (I recommend Accent brand for the cost-conscious). Or $800-$1500 for a quality vintage soprano. I think used/vintage Yanis are the best bang for the buck. There's no such thing as a cheap shovel, and there's no such thing as a cheap soprano, if you catch my drift.

Reply To Post

1. by Strikrr
        (4 posts)

19 years ago

Yes I definately do understand...my only delima is that I am not sure that I want to go this route so that's why I want to do some trying for a bit of time before I truly invest.

Reply To Post