Saxophone Forum

by Island991
(22 posts)
19 years ago

vintage conn

can anyone tell me rough age of a conn alto with serial number M188705??

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: vintage conn

That's a 1926 Conn New Wonder Series II or "Chu Berry" as they are known. www.drrick.com

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by TANGO SIX ONE
      (255 posts)

19 years ago

The Knights Templar state: Correct ( Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

2. by Island991
      (22 posts)

19 years ago

thanks, i dont know alot about vintage saxes. is this a good sax? or a good year? if condition of instrument is good etc

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

Thats a great horn, especially with the right type of mouthpiece. mpcs with large round chambers work best with the older saxes usually

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Great horn. The intonation is pretty good. Like Definition said, you'll want a mouthpiece with a large round chamber. An Otto Link Tone Edge is a great piece for a vintage Conn alto. The Chu Berry's have a great warm, lush sound. They're perfect for blues, bop, and jazz ballads.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Island991
          (22 posts)

19 years ago

do you know if the conns that got to the UK are the same quality as US ones? the one in question was brought into the UK by 'the saxophone shop' i imagine in the 1920s?

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

As long as it's stamped Conn, it's the same horn as those sold in the US. Conn made a few stencil horns that were sold under various names in the UK and in the US that may have had a few less features. Most of the stencils did not have rolled tone holes, for example. If it is a Conn; however, it is equal to those Conns produced in the US.

Reply To Post Yahoo!