Saxophone Forum

by joyojoy
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Is Vito a good beginner sax?

I'm shopping for an alto sax for my 7th grader. Found a Vito in excellent condition (like-new pads, keys all work and in-tact, very few dents/scratches), with hard case (a Le Blanc) for $450. Is this a good deal and a good sax to start with?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Is Vito a good beginner sax?

did you or your daughter play the horn? if a kite doesn't fly it is no good!!! dents are not a big deal, but your daughter needs a playable horn. have her teacher play the horn and get his opinion. i think that horn sounds like a good deal. have someome shake it down to make sure it is playable. best of luck to you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by Spike
    (248 posts)

19 years ago

yes.

Reply To Post

3. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

i am happy to hear about the horn. tell you daughter that jamterry says Practice HARD!!!!!!! best wishes :)

4. by vipegrad
    (47 posts)

19 years ago

Short answer no, long answer, yes with a but.... Vito is nomally not looked apon as a descent sax in any respect. If your child already plays alto, it is best that they play test the instrument before buying it. If it suits him, go for it, otherwise it may be a more financially sound choice to shop around and look at other student models. If he does not play alto yet, it is best to have his band director or someone with experience play the horn for you and tell you if it is a lemon or not. Vito is generally a cheap brand, but as with all horns, each one is different. Someone may find that their veto plays just as well as a mark VI or a good modern sax, just the same as i personally do not like the mark VI. So, overall, make sure someone tries it before you buy it. For that price, it may be a good purchase for now to be replaced in high school when your child knows more of what they are looking for in a sax.

Reply To Post

1. by west
      (242 posts)

19 years ago

If he's a beginner, then it is a great idea, but if he's been playing for at least a year, i wouldn't really suggest it. There is a new Yamaha series out called the Q series. The Q series is a beginner model and Yamaha is a great brand. I don't think that one person on this site can say that Yamaha is not one of the best companies out there.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxAppeal
        (67 posts)

19 years ago

I started out with a beginner Yamaha. A good beginner horn is the Yamaha YAS23 Alto Saxophone, you can probably get a used - good priced, and in good conditioned one at a pawn shop or local music stores (or online w/e). Good Luck

Reply To Post

2. by joyojoy
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

I went ahead and made a deposit on the sax, then took it to the tech at the store which services all the school band instruments. He told me that this particular line of Vitos is actually made for Le Blanc by Yamaha, so he said it looked like a great instrument for my daughter to start with. They're going to tune it up for us (some of the pads weren't seated right), so with the cost of that, we wound up getting a pretty nice instrument for right around $500. Color me happy!

Reply To Post

1. by saintsday
        (3 posts)

11 years ago

I know that this is an old thread, but it shows up pretty high when you google "Vito saxophone."  Your tech served you well.  Vito altos and tenors stamped Japan are indeed made by Yamaha.  Some with no stamp were also made by Yamaha in Michigan.  Older Vitos were made by Beaugnier and can be very good instruments as well, including but not limited to the Leblanc System saxophones which have a Boehm system tone hole placement. Newer Vitos stamped Taiwan are made by Jupiter and are not as desirable.  Since the replacement horn, the YAS-26, is selling for over $1900, $500 is not out of line for a very nice condition used saxophone that is in every important regard the same instrument.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxAppeal
        (67 posts)

19 years ago

once she gets good get her a selmer :)

Reply To Post

1. by barisax999
          (400 posts)

19 years ago

well i am so glad you're here to tell us what horn she should when she gets good. the discussion is about vitos as beginner horns. when she wants to know what horn to get when she gets good, she'll ask. and for the record, lets make it clear that if you suggest a selmer make sure its the paris made ones

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

"once she gets good get her a selmer :)" Why Selmer? So she can sound like every other snob in band? I don't understand.....what is it you people love about Selmers? What am I missing? I've owned 3 Selmers; a Mark VI, an SBA, and a Series III! ALL French made, all supposedly the top of the line, but I wasn't particularly impressed by any of them. The Mark VI and the SBA were given to me, otherwise, I wouldn't own them! The Series III soprano I traded off a few months ago for an old Buescher 400 tenor! The Series III was a little over a year old, the Buescher is a 1949! Still, I think I got the better end of the deal! So what am I missing? What is so great about Selmer? I don't like their tenors at all. I think they sound cheesy. Everyone says it's hard to beat a Selmer alto. I do like the sound of my SBA for some things because it is so silky smooth, but the Conn 6M plays better and has a better intonation, and the sound will just knock your socks off! The Vito is a perfectly good starter instrument; especially if it has been repadded and recently serviced. You may want to have it checked out by a technition, or make sure that it comes with some sort of guarantee. Let her try it for a few years and see how she likes it. If she does well and enjoys playing, then you might think about rewarding her with a new horn.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by definition
            (963 posts)

19 years ago

I'm with ya man, lock stock and barrel. What am I missin on those Selmers? And yes, the Vito is a good horn, I had a freind playing it on the colliegate level for a while, till he got a Couf.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by tpasco1995
            (1 post)

10 years ago

I fully agree with you on the Selmer stance. (I know this is late, but it's a good topic) There are a million Bundy and Bundy II saxes in the world today. They sound like a sax. As far as jazz goes, you can get a sloppy sound from them. Some people find it desirable; some do not. The Mark VI, like every other Selmer in the world, is a good horn for someone to pick up cheap and learn saxophone on. I would never buy one new.

As far as Vitos, to whomever may be reading this in the future, I do very much suggest trying before buying. I picked this one up brand new in 5th grade and kept it in mint condition for years. I'm a university student now and I have been complimented by many people over the years (including several directors) on the tone quality it has. My standard C is a little on the flat side, but the alternate fingering brings it right back in tune.  Of course, it's slight enough to pull in with a slight adjustment of embouchure. The appearance itself is gorgeous; a dark amber brass with a metal thumbhold on the higher models (plastic on some as well). The metal is thick, leaving me with a saxophone that has withstood a hell of a lot of life with only 3 dents; none major. I have dropped it on its side (I know. I'm a bad parent) and the keyguards and bell flare have not bent a bit. The horn is hardy and reliable. There is minimal keystick, oxidation, or discoloration. The only part where the plating has come off is the bottom bell guard. I trust the instrument to survive; but test it out first  

Reply To Post

3. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

Yamaha! Yamaha! Yamaha! need i say more?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Some of the older Vito saxophones really were not all that bad. I believe that some were made by Yanagisawa. A student model Yamaha is a better horn, but $450 for a Vito in good condition with new pads doesn't sound bad at all.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by barisax999
            (400 posts)

19 years ago

yeah theres more than one good kind of beginner horn dude. yamahas are good beginner horns, however vitos are just as good and they are cheaper. yamahas are more mainstream and more expensive. i used to play a vito and it will work even into the intermediate level of playing.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by barisax999
            (400 posts)

19 years ago

sorry this last one was directed at "West" like yamahas so much. i hit the worng button

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by west
            (242 posts)

19 years ago

I know there are other good saxes, i just happen to like Yamaha

Reply To Post

5. by jamterry
            (573 posts)

19 years ago

i'm happy that someone is able to play. i think the young lady will have a good time with her own horn. why do you guys get so hung up on makes and models? worry about your technique!!!!!!!!

6. by west
            (242 posts)

19 years ago

I never liked my first couple years of sax playing. I think it's because i have an older brother that is three years ahead of me, and i always saw him and his band perform. My elementary school band teacher thought that my alto had a spit valve.

Reply To Post