Saxophone Forum

by lizzy_d
(3 posts)
19 years ago

HELP!!! need information!

I have been playing an alto sax for a while now and I plan to switch to playing a tenor. However, i dont know what makes to look at or what price range. Could someone please tell me about everything I need to know in switching from alto to tenor?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

Re: HELP!!! need information!

lots of answeres on general discussions on this subject

Reply To Post

2. by streetSax570
    (25 posts)

19 years ago

Hey cool! Im switching from alto to tenor too! So if you get info tell me, ok?Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Are you looking for a new or used sax? As for the new saxophones, a Yamaha YTS 475 or YTS 62 is probably the best value for your money and will run you around $1700 for a 475 and around $2300 for a 62. The 475 is an intermediate level horn, while the 62 is an intermediate-pro horn. A new Jupiter 787 will run around $1200. I wouldn't buy anything much cheaper new. You might find a nice used Conn 16M (1955-1968 are the best years) or a King Cleveland for a budget price of $500-$800 in good playing condition. Conn 10M's, Buescher 400 TH&C's, King Zephyrs and Super 20's are going to run a little more.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxplayuh
        (2 posts)

19 years ago

hey im new to this site, but i know quite a bit about saxes i'd stay away from vintage horns for now...new horns are good enough for someone new to tenor. Yahamas are of very good quality/value, and I also like selmer paris. I have a student (who had an account on this site) wanting to buy a new tenor. He bought a ref. 54 and loves it, although it may be a little too much for your spending. I tried out the Yamahas and I was, frankly, IMPRESSED. I'd go ahead and get the pro series yamahas instead of the 62 or 475 because after them you wont need to go through the hassle of selling your 62 or 475 to get a better horn. but then again, yamahas are just great horns so whatever you get from them will most likely be good. I dont know about jupiter tho. I'd stay w/ Yamaha. look to spend at the max. 27000-3000 bux for now. If you're sure you want to play tenor for a long time, get somethin fancier...that 82z unlaquered really catches my eye...

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The Yamaha 62 is an intermediate-pro model. They're a great sax!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by saxplayuh
          (2 posts)

19 years ago

oh, i have no doubt about that

Reply To Post

3. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

Shoot, the 62 was THE pro model for 10-15 years or so...I know of a LOT of pros who still play 62 tenors and baris. The 62 bari is especially good for someone who isn't a full time bari player (requires less air than an old Conn or Buescher bari). To the list of vintage horns I would also suggest The Martin....what a sweet rich sound Martin's have!

Reply To Post

4. by eman19
          (131 posts)

19 years ago

I love my martin alto, I've been trying to find a tenor with no luck in my area.

Reply To Post