Saxophone Forum

by watur
(2 posts)
7 years ago

Jazz saxophone recordings in difficult keys

Hi!

This is my first post on this forum. I'm from Europe and English is not my first language, so please be  forgiving ;)

I'm looking for recordings of jazz saxophonists playing in difficult (or less common keys). I know that ,,difficult keys" it's kind of stupid category  and I know, that these are just keys you haven't practised enough yet. But beyond practising ii V I and some transcribed phrases in all keys, I would love to transcribe some solos in those less used keys.

As you know - jazz tunes are often in common keys - Rhythm Changes in F or Bb, Blues in F, Eb, C or Bb etc. So I'm looking for tunes like:

- Mr. Day (Coltrane - blues in Gb)

- The Source (Chris Potter - Blues in B natural)

- Equinox (Coltrane - minor blues in Db)

Mainly I'm interested in tunes, that have strong key center in key F#, E, B, A, D, Db etc. They could be blues tunes but other forms would be even better.

Thank you for your help!

P.S. Please deon't write about Cherokee (becouse it has difficult bridge) or  26-2 and Countdown (lot's of fast V I movement) - I want to transcribe (as I've written before) solos with strong keys centers in those  ,,harder" keys. Also thank you for andvices like ,,use transposing in Transcribe and learn your favourite solo half step higher" or ,,learn All The Things You Are half step up" - I know those tricks ;)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Jazz saxophone recordings in difficult keys

Simply Transcribe what you already like to the other 12 keys. This is the most basic way of becoming fluent on the horn. Completely fluent. Fluent to the point of not having to even think about it, simply what you hear in your head comes out the horn. That is the ultimate goal, so just do it.

Reply To Post

1. by watur
      (2 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Jazz saxophone recordings in difficult keys

I already know this method and I'm using it - just read carrefouly my post ;). But I also want to have some other ways of practising this material. And I also think that transcribing is (at least form me) much better in becoming more fluent in keys or even tunes, than practising it by myself with metronome or backing tracks.

I want to have some alternative to methods that I've already knew. So that's why I'm not asking for advices on becoming proficient in all keys, but I'm looking for recordings of saxophone solos in difficult keys - as examples given in my previous post.

Cheers. 

Reply To Post