Saxophone Forum

by Sweetaltostuff
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Teaching sax...

I've been teaching sax players (as a HS student) for 3 years now. I'd like to improve my teaching, though. I know enough about theory to stay on top of anyone I teach it to, and I know some about teaching intonation, pitch, sound quality, breathing, and the like, but any methods, specific or broad, would be appreciated. I would specifically appreciate good ways of encouraging practice, positive attitude toward playing, and focus during playing, but any small ideas or methods are helpful. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by KingNecron
    (76 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Teaching sax...

Hey, man. I taught lessons to two kids last summer (middle and high school students, brother and sister, respectively). The brother would never practice, so we pretty much played out of his book for school and I would harmonize and jam for him, just trying to at least inspire him to play the saxophone. The sister plays bassoon and just wanted help on alto for her school's jazz band, and she was much better about practicing. Unfortunately, it's hard to get people to practice--even I don't practice as much as I like. My only suggestion would be to have them play fun music, and just have a lesson every now and then where you just take it easy and just jam. But I'm no professional sax teacher by any stretch of the imagination, so I'm equally interested in some of the responses you get to this post. Also, keeping up on theory is great--you have to know the basics to teach the basics. Take it easy, and good luck with your students.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by knorter
      (205 posts)

19 years ago

Wow this is a topic that could go on for a long time. There are so many elements to being an effective educator. Our roles change for every student. First of all a clear set of goals is most important. These goals change depending on the level of student but to have a clearly defined list helps keep you and the student focused. Maybe include elements from a list like: sound, technique, scales, arpeggios, sight reading, prepared music, rhythm, and improvisation. I like using charts or graphs to mark the progress of a student, this keeps them on track and it is always fun to look back at how much you've accomplished. For younger students having a grid that you fill in with smiley faces or stickers might be good. Make 12 squares, one for each major scale, and reward them when the chart is filled in. Always end a lesson with somethng they want to do like their favorite piece. Get involved with music that they like but find a way to introduce important topics to these "fun" songs. If it is a simple melody like "Happy Birthday" why not try to teach it to them in more than one key, challenge them to learn it in all 12. If you're working on rhythm maybe have them notate their favorite song in rhythmic notation. Combining practical saxophone elements with music they love will keep everyone happy.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by TANGO SIX ONE
        (255 posts)

19 years ago

The knights templar and their counterparts the Teutonic knights state: Motivation is key.The knights prefer the Airbourne method of instruction.This is unique to our order.Young people have to be guided into self motivation and quick. Adults if they are not self motivated need to be tested quickly to access their character, which will determine their potential. Then most importantly the real reasons often hidden why they wish to play or develop on the instrument.The most objective lesson for the Sax master is in short, TO MAKE THEM WANT TO LEARN .That is if they havent already got it. If you dont succeed with in a short space of time in this vital area,call a halt to it.The Knights state its quality not quantity. Once a student of any age and development is self motivated the job becomes easy, great fun for everyone and above all honest. (Bird Lives)

Reply To Post