Saxophone Forum

by SaxMan88
(318 posts)
19 years ago

Bad fuzzy sound

All right, I've had this problem on my alto and it magically went away. But now I'm having it on my new tenor and it's getting quite annoying. It's a fuzzy type sound while I'm playing; seems like saliva is building up on the reed then vibrating causing the sound while I'm playing. I blow down the top of the reed, and it goes away temporarily. But it comes back within a minute. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Spike
    (248 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Bad fuzzy sound

it's just spit. you may find this gross at first, but it's easiet to suck it out. If it gets too bad, you can wipe the reed off.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
      (318 posts)

19 years ago

Someone on another site said my reed might have a leak in it and to rub the back of it; would this help as well? Spike, I've done both of those things in a desperate effort and neither keep it off.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
        (248 posts)

19 years ago

well the table might not be flat on your mouthpiece... as for the spit... it'll always come back. just keep trying

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Bad fuzzy sound? Fuzzy huh? Maybe there is a small fuzzy animal living in your saxophone! A weasel? Maybe a hamster? Did you have a hamster escape from his cage or something? My nephew stuck my kitten in the bell of my 10M once and blew into it. It sounded a little fuzzy! Seriously though....try another reed and see what happens.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Spike
        (248 posts)

19 years ago

that's a bad furry sound.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Furry, Fuzzy...I'm sorry....my bad.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by martysax
            (148 posts)

19 years ago

"My nephew stuck my kitten in the bell of my 10M once and blew into it. It sounded a little fuzzy! " Jim, be careful how this story gets told. The SPCA, ACLU or DSS might want to get involved.

Reply To Post

2. by The_§ax
            (147 posts)

19 years ago

I don't know about animal rights, but you might want to try different reed brands and reed strengths, or even try some other mouthpieces out. It's most likely spit as spike was saying, but the mouthpiece and reed that you use can really effect the amount of fuzziness (or furriness) that you get. Plus suck that spit out, yeah i know yuck, but it works!!!

Reply To Post