Saxophone Forum

by bariguy
(25 posts)
19 years ago

Jazz Camp

Hey i just signed up for the BOA Summer Symposium for the leadership and jazz camp. I'm gonna be playing tenor sax for the camp. I was just wondering if anyone here was going. Also i have to play an audition, they want to hear a blues head and two choruses of soloing. You guys got any ideas?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by knorter
    (205 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Jazz Camp

I would do "Now's the Time" or "Billie's Bounce" . From my experience as an instructor at the Aebersold camp I can tell you what we look for and hopefully BOA has similar criteria. I picked those heads because they are bebop and include a few more notes than other heads so they can show off more technique and your ability to play in a swing style. good sound, good time, good intonation, then jazz style concept. The improv section would be to determine your level of understanding changes. Many beginners would just play a blues scale the entire time. Nothing wrong with that but a more advanced soloist might also include ideas that are more specific to each chord. Specifically on a blues one of the things that tells me the level of player is the second and fifth measures of the piece. When the changes move from the I chord to the IV chord. For example in Bb a player might play an idea in the first measure that includes a D. If the second chord of the piece is Eb7 (the IV chord) then using a Db in that measure would tell me that this player understands changes. Good luck let me know if you need more info on this.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

19 years ago

I would agree, an altered blues would be much better than a regular old straight blues head for an audition. And Parker blues head, or what about something from Coltrane, like Blue Train? And instead of just playing mixolydian scales or minor pentatonic on the dominant chords, trying throwing some other stuff in there. For instance, the alt scale(inverted diminished whole tone) sounds cool on Blue Train if you mix it up with some blues. Just don't limit yourself to minor pentatonics or the blues scale. Knorter, what's your name? What did you teach at Louisville?

Reply To Post

1. by knorter
        (205 posts)

19 years ago

I'm Kristy Norter one of the moderators for this site. I live in NYC but teach every summer at Jamey Aebersold's camps. I have been one of the saxophone and combo instructors there for 7 years. Your advice is great for a player who has moved beyond the basics of playing changes. Maybe Barisax will write back and let us know what level he is at so we could make more specific suggestions. Golferguy675 have you been to the camps?

1. by bariguy
          (25 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks guys, i have actually played all of those songs previously. I guess its time to start digging them out again. Also i agreee with you there is no way i am going to stay on one blues scale the whole time. Although i am not the best impover i can play the changes.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, I went last year. Don't think I'm going to get to go down there this summer, but definetly next time around. I've got some places around here to keep me busy and some new books. Great camp. I especially like the store in the basement. I must've saved a hundred bucks on material. Never had you for a master class, though I think I might remember you playing in one of the concerts. Wasn't David Leibman great last year?

Reply To Post

3. by knorter
          (205 posts)

19 years ago

Yes, Liebman is always great. I got to hear his big band at Birdland this fall. He wrote some fantastic charts. He would conduct a little and then take these amazing solos. It was great. Make sure you introduce yourself next year if you attend the camp.

4. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

Oh I did, I talked to everyone backstage. I had to ask him about that little indian flute he was playing. I got his autograph, Rufus's, John Riley's, and then I got Gary Campell and Jerry Coker to sign my Patterns for Jazz book. Finished it some time ago, but I always like to practice it to brush up technique. When I first saw him, I thought his limp was an old vietnam wound or something like that. I looked into it later; turns out he was hit by a cab. New York's rough.

Reply To Post

2. by spifster
        (67 posts)

19 years ago

If you want a piece that can show off both technical playing and improvising, try bird's confirmation. Its an uptempo swing with some very interesting chord changes.

Reply To Post

1. by knorter
          (205 posts)

19 years ago

That is a great tune for technical development but if they specifically said a blues head for the audition then Confirmation doesn't meet the requirement.

1. by TANGO SIX ONE
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

The knights templar state: in Europe Jazz Camp can mean something entirely different.We are sure these places are fine institutions,and are great instructional "Camps" . But the knights Templar find it difficult to reason with any form of gathering in this way in dealing with jazz .Were just from a different school of thinking. Still as long as the financially poorest, who have talent isnt excluded from these jazz camps then they have got to be good. (Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

2. by knorter
            (205 posts)

19 years ago

Tango--I can only speak about the camps that I have worked. Aebersold's is set up for musicians to play in a combo setting twice a day. They also have daily theory and masterclasses on their instruments. The idea is to have a more experienced musician give advice about improvisation and playing in a small group setting. Mr. Aebersold gives many scholarships to musicians who are in need. Think of it more like a mentoring relationship.

3. by TANGO SIX ONE
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

Response to Knorter:The knights Templar give great respect to that, regarding the scholarships.We have found certainly in Europe that facilities are not as good for example in Britain. Norway has good support and it seams France are on the right lines.USA from what we read seams to have the best facilities.We have our theorys on jazz development which are very different from most people.Culture is one major factor, we remember discussing this a few years ago with one of the finest British born bass players over from the States on a Europeon tour.Also the building of movements as opposed to developing in isolation, which because of changing societies seams to be the trend nowadays.(Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I see Kristy didn't find the entertainment value in my band camp story. No offense intended. Looking back on my younger days, I wish I would have taken the opportunity to go to jazz camp. I have worked with a few students and given private lessons. The knowledge that these students learn at band/jazz camp is absolutely priceless! Not to mention, that it can also open the doors to many future opportunities. Best of luck, and beware of bears ;) Kristy.....God bless you!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by TANGO SIX ONE
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

Response to connsaxman jim.The knights templar think that the camp you may have attended with lifes experience was the same one the knights attended. In fact we can recall going off to make music the way you describe many times.You know something jim we know of that bear you speak of. Yes its all comimg back now.That bear had one heck of a reputation but soon after turned its back on music altogether.Its real talents lay else where and spent the next 5 years playing pro Football, turnnig out in a defensive capacity for Chicargo. (Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

6. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Hahaha....That's funny Tango....Instead of attacking young girls for their cookies, I think he does endorsements for McDonalds now! I never went to band camp. The closest I got to band camp were a few weekend long jam sessions at a campground with dad's band and a bunch of musicians. When I was in Jr. High, I met this girl Christina (Christy) who played flute in band. She was the cutest, sweetest girl I had ever met! I fell pretty hard for her. My first love.....but, she went on to date a football player :(. Broke my little heart. And that's when I started playing the blues! So......band students, it's not the bears that you really need to worry about, it's the FOOTBALL TEAM! So Tango, you're right about the bear! And that IS a true story! But in regards to saxophones and jazz camp (since that's what this post is about) I would love an opportunity to work at a camp. I wish I would have attended one when I was younger.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

7. by EL Seano
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

Just warning to all you people.............................................................................NEVER EVER GO TO A BAND CAMP IN AUSTRALIA!!!!!! IT IS THE OFFICIAL WORST THING EVER!!! But the Jazz camps are great :-)

Reply To Post

8. by SaxMan88
            (318 posts)

19 years ago

Why do you say that? Wut's so bad about an Australian jazz camp? I'm going to what my director considers a very low budget jazz camp over the summer. My first one so it can't be that bad. But I wanna go to SYMS up in New Hampshire next year. Only thing it's like $900 for two weeks whereas this camp is only $240 but the SYMS price is not for commuting so it includes room and board.

Reply To Post

9. by EL Seano
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

perhaps i did not make my self clear. I meant the school band camps are crap, not the jazz camps

Reply To Post