Saxophone Forum

by Kees
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Conn USA alto saxophone

I recently bought a Conn USA alto sax. The number engraved is 1461. No pre-fixes or what so ever. Engravings show a bow underneath Conn U.S.A and stars above. Can somebody tell me anything about year of manufacture?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Conn USA alto saxophone

That is a Conn director's model 14M alto. My guess is that it was made in the early 60's. Does it have sheet metal keyguards or wire keyguards? I would imagine sheet metal, and it's probably a 1963 model. Most had a C prefix in the serial, but I have seen a couple others that didn't that looked to be around the same year.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Kees
      (4 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks Jim for your respond. My sax has sheet metal keyguards. In the serial number it doesn't show any prefix, just the four digits 1461. In the serial list on the Conn website there is no indication that Conn restarted numbering and this number refers to 1895? Thanks in advance if you could tell me anything about this.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I really don't have an absolute answer, and the only horns that I have seen with 4 digit serial numbers were Director's models. I THINK that before Conn started using the "C" prefix in 1963, a few Director's model horns were stamped according to when they were made in the series.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Kees
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

Sounds as a possibillity. The fact that the keyguards are of sheet steel, does that indicate a certain period? My sax also has only one octave key and the highest note is F (not F#). The laquer is completely gone but the instrument still plays well and sounds great!

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

1963 was the first year for the sheet metal keyguards. Prior to 1963, they were wire guards.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by Kees
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks very much for your comments Jim!

Reply To Post