Saxophone Forum

by Alain Marion
(3 posts)
7 years ago

Mouthpiece for a Yamaha YAS 23

Hi everyone,

I'm completely new to saxophone and would greatly appreciate suggestions regarding a quality mouthpiece that, although not too expensive, would help produce a good sound on a Yamaha YAS 23 alto saxophone. I recently purchased a used instrument in mint condition. The standard 4c Yamaha mouthpiece came with the instrument, but a second mouthpiece is needed as my daughter and I will "share" the sax, at least for a while...

If possible, please also indicate the price range of the mouthpiece you would recommend.

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Alain

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Mouthpiece for a Yamaha YAS 23

Wow you just asked one of the broadest questions you can.  There are literally hundreds to choose from, and everyone has their favorites.  Given that you are both new, and you do not want to spend too much (and should not spend too much) on your first try, I would recommend that you look at the Macsax Aura alto piece.  You can get it on the Macsax site, and it runs about $65.  It comes in a 6 tip opening (about averarge size), which is larger than your 4c, so you might want to use this piece and let your daughter start on the Yamaha 4C.  The Aura is actually a 3D printed piece that is hand finished, making this one of the lowest priced hand finished pieces available.

Reply To Post

1. by Alain Marion
      (3 posts)

7 years ago

Thanks a lot mijderf!   

Alain

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

7 years ago

The Rico Graftonite gets a lot of good press for an inexpensive mouthpiece.  It's kind of a middling design with a low baffle and three options for the chamber (A,B, and C, with A being the largest).  At this stage of the game a low baffle piece with a #5 or #6 tip opening should serve you well.  And at around $25 it's not too big of a hit if you decide you want something else.

Reply To Post

1. by Alain Marion
      (3 posts)

7 years ago

Many thanks GFC!

Alain

Reply To Post