Saxophone Forum

by iepearson
(2 posts)
7 years ago

does anyone know anything about the composer Hugo Reinhart?

I've just heard Hugo Reinhart's quartet in F minor but can't find anything whatsoever about him on the internet or in any of the best sax books (Ingham or Cottrell). I think the piece must be from the 19th century. It sounds like it might even pre-date the sax's invention so I think it could have been transcribed from something else. Can anyone help me solve this mystery please?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by iepearson
    (2 posts)

7 years ago

Re: does anyone know anything about the composer Hugo Reinhart?

No need to reply as I was kindly sent some information by the French oboist David Walter so I thought I'd share it. Watch out for the terrific new Chandos CD of the Ferio Saxophone Quartet released in July with the Reinhart F major quartet, as well as works by Singelée, Pierné, Bozza, Will Gregory and Guillermo Lago including his new work ‘The Wordsworth Poems’. Anyway, here’s my English translation of the biography of Hugo Reinhart: Born in Paris in 1958, Hugo Reinhart studied music analysis with Daniel Gaudet and Jean-Paul Holstein, in parallel to a concert career. This training led him to compose some works influenced in turn by different currents in the history of music, intended primarily for instruments with restricted repertoire. The quartet in F minor is, unusual today, and very much influenced by Mozart and Haydn. Reinhart himself says "Writing in the style of the end of the eighteenth century, does not, in my mind, call into question contemporary creation. I do not seek, like the hyperrealist painters, to create any current. This piece is only the fruit of a momentary inspiration, intended to enrich the repertoire of the saxophone quartet whose classical repertory is not inexhaustible ... ".

Best wishes to all from a clarinettist!

Reply To Post