Saxophone Forum

by Fred12
(11 posts)
19 years ago

Mexican Conn Alto

Can someone explain to me what is wrong with the Nogales Conns? I bought one - cheap - for fun and started taking lessons. It seems to sound OK, when my teacher plays it it sounds fine! But then my ear isn't really trained. Would I really know the difference if i tried a really good horn? I don't want to spend a lot more money but (after a year of lessons) would a "better" (newer or vintage) horn be necessary?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Mexican Conn Alto

Quality control was maybe less that optimal with the Nogales Conns. I've been able to salvage just about any horn that hasn't been completely smashed, but there are certainly things like mis-aligned posts that are certainly repairable but annoying to have to deal with. So barring issues like those that can cause poor action - once addressed, they are certainly not all that bad to play. They are certainly affordable! Value and playability are not necessarily aligned. you can find Mexiconns that play incredibly well and you can find Mark VI's that don't. Again, to me, I find that most of it has to do with how the instrument is set up and the quality of the materials used. With a newer or more professional horn, you might notice the key action being smoother and the sound being perhaps different, but as a beginner - any saxophone in good regulation is good enough.

Reply To Post