Saxophone Forum

by mojocoggo
(97 posts)
19 years ago

Marching With Baritone

Ok well "spring training" has offically started and I'm a little confused.... My teacher said he would like me to hold it out in front of me, parallel to my body. However, when I do this, I can't control the right hand keys as well as I can when I hold it off to the side, slightly slanted. Also, it is harder to play because the mouthpiece goes straight into my mouth rather than being slanted down a little.... My teacher (a brass player I might add) thinks it looks better straight up, but I don't feel I can play as well as I can when its slanted.... Any recommendations or thoughts are appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Cannon
    (23 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Marching With Baritone

Play it the way it feels comfortable for you....your teacher's advice is purely superficial and i'm sure he would trade a good sound for a certain angle you hold it at. Good luck with lugging a bari around the marching band field.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

Smack him with it and hold it the way you want. Well dont do that, but explain your problem to him, cause he isnt unserstanding how unweildy that horn can be marched in front, being as he is a brass player. Then hold it how you want and knock his pants off with a wall of sound

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by mojocoggo
        (97 posts)

19 years ago

Haha! Thanks for the recommendation. Maybe during impact some of the pads will get straightened out. On second thought... I already lost one keyguard.....

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by barisax999
          (400 posts)

19 years ago

dude i marched bari for 3 years. and all i can say is suck it up. take a hit for the team. it takes some work to get used to it, but over time it isnt that hard. hold it parallel to your body, get a slight lean forward, and keep your chin up. the embochure takes some time to get used to, but again its not that hard. i had one of my freshman get a perfect horn angle and a good sound and it is was there before band camp was over.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by mojocoggo
          (97 posts)

19 years ago

barisax999: were you using a neckstrap or one of those monster truck seatbelt style harnesses?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by barisax999
          (400 posts)

19 years ago

all you need is a regular neotech neckstrap. those other harnesses are just stupid. if you're worried about embochure then you DEFENITELY dont want to use the harness

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

i beg to differ while i personally still dont use a harness they are not stupid, and they dont really affect your embochure sometimes they can improve it o yea my story anyway a friend of mine (his dad actually) is a sax player a good one too i dont know why he doesnt play as much more, o yea, he played marching bari in high school and college and he messed up his back that way, its not good for you that way of horn holding, he has now had back surgery 3 times because of it. so while you may feel the harness makes you look stupid... suck it up! its good for you, i still dont wear one but I know some kids who do and they found some way in their uniforms to line it out... it was sorta cool, but i cant imagine it did the uniform good

Reply To Post

5. by mojocoggo
          (97 posts)

19 years ago

That's exactly what I use. The neotech strap... BUT the little plastic hook at the end isnt strong enough to hold baritones for a long time so i had to replace it with a custom made medal one... My friend used the plastic one and it broke in the middle of a show.... not fun at all. Also, just thought I would tell people, last year, when we had 2 baris, we did this awesome horn move in the very beginning of our show.. Here's a video of me doing it in my house: www.myshizit.z280.com/applejack/video/hornmanual.mov

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

6. by potatos_69
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

i agree i play bari and it is so much easier with a neckstrap, i used a harness for a while it it just screws u up, it can also ruin good posture, go with a soft flexible neckstrap

Reply To Post

7. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

19 years ago

Marched with a bari for years. Here's my advice: get a Berg Larsen mouthpiece and tell the idiot band director "I'll hold it how I bloody well FEEL like!" Find a comfy neckstrap, march your ass off, and let 'er rip.

Reply To Post

8. by barisax999
          (400 posts)

19 years ago

i think you need to get over yourself and maybe listen to the director. i played bari for 3 years straight in front of me with perfect posture. its attitudes like this that exist in our band that made us one of the top bands in the state for the as long as ive been in it. i say if you cant play bari right get yourself an alto because playing bari on the field is for those who have the balls to do it.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

9. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

geez man chill its not that big of a deal and I dont think reproductive organs have anything to do with a horn carriage

Reply To Post

10. by mojocoggo
          (97 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Marching With BASS

Does anyone have any expirence marching with a bass sax? I might do it next year...

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

11. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

but why? Yes I have seen it done, and done it myself, but unless you have NO tubas, why put yourself through that?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

12. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

but why? Yes I have seen it done, and done it myself, but unless you have NO tubas, why put yourself through that?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

13. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

While posture is important, so is being able to hold the instrument in a position that is comfortable to play. That's one of my biggest complaints against marching; more emphasis on show reather than music I have always felt. Don't get me wrong, show is important, and I highly admire those who participate in marching band, but you compromise your ability to play your instrument just to walk a little straigher on the field.....there has to be a line there. Try to accomodate your instructor as much as possible. Idiot or not, he's still your instructor. But, don't sacrifice your ability to play the instrument!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

14. by mojocoggo
          (97 posts)

19 years ago

Yes, I agree. My marching band has 2 tubas, but they only play about half of the notes for some reason.... I'm surprised my teacher even lets them play. Either way, I don't see marching with bass as "putting myself through it." I am sure I would enjoy it :-). Plus, most of my parts are sustained notes for like 8-10 measures, and can tell that the arranger would like to write in a low low G, but instead, it goes an octave higher and I think it would sound just great at the same octave as the tubas should be playing... I can already sight-transpose from Eb to Bb....

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

15. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

Trust me, the sucker is gonna get real heavy, real fast

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

16. by mojocoggo
          (97 posts)

19 years ago

Heh... I'll bet, but all I would have to do is play a low Bb and I'd stand right back up!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

17. by CanyonSax
          (1 post)

19 years ago

I put in about 6 years marking Bari. #1 don't use a Jazz horn. My marching horn was a vintage Conn and was lighter than a modern Tenor. Set up your mouthpiece and reed combo for maximum sound. The best thing about having a Bari on the street or field is it can add articulation and punch to a muddy tuba line. As for posture, I've competed with the horn out perpendicular to the ground, but it just doesn't match the "Bari" attitude, and the strain on your right hand does slow you down. I never could get the same sound with that posture. Also a note of caution, get a good Ciropractor. The bari was not created for marching like a sousaphone. The weight load is off center and your neck bones will be pulled to the right, while your hips will be pushed to the left. Holding the sax out in front of your body will add additional neck strain, as well as the obvious load on your right arm.

Reply To Post

18. by ameetp
          (14 posts)

19 years ago

All these people make good points. However, it is true that it is better played on the side. Be sure to still hold it away from your body a little bit, as it looks terrible when it moves and bounces every time your right leg moves. Also; it is not necessary to buy a harness-strap. But it is a good idea to get a really strong neck strap. Don't get a Neotech; I broke two. The hook didn't come apart; rather, the elastic where the padding is broke. I then used a bass clarinet neck strap (with the double hook) and it worked really well for some time, but I broke it in jazz band. I suggest a Ray Hyman neck strap. It is uncomfortable, but it is very, very strong. Also get a J.D. Hite mouthpiece. The tone is not great, but its cheap and plays unbelievably loud. It's one of my 4 different set-ups (Marching, Jazz, Legit, Quartet).

Reply To Post

19. by mega band geek
          (60 posts)

19 years ago

This past week has been pre-summer band camp at my new high school, where we learn how to march in a line, hold the instruments, etc. The Bari's and Sousaphones in the band are really weak sounding. I put my berg on and was able to out-blow them all on Bari, and when he herd me he took me to an instrument storage room next to the band room and pulled out a Bass and asked me to march it to help compensate for the weak low Brass/Winds. I'm like, HELL YEAH! Then damn thing is heavy, but it is in good working order for a school bass and I can get a huge sound out of it. Its going to be a pain lugging it around the field, but I can guarentee you that it will be to my side. No fricken way I'm holding that thing paralel to my body for who knows how much time.

Reply To Post AIM

20. by mega band geek
          (60 posts)

19 years ago

^^^ When I say "He" I mean the band director.

Reply To Post AIM

21. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry guys, but I'd never participate in a marching band. I'd be too scared i'd trip over and land on my beloved horn.

Reply To Post

22. by GzsKerqt
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

Same here! Its scary enough juz accidently banging something into it.

Reply To Post

23. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

Thats why in High school, normal people dont use there own personal good horn to march with, use a school horn or something else you pick up fairly cheap!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM