Saxophone Forum

by Dawson33
(3 posts)
7 years ago

What saxophone

I'm a going to be a senior in high school and I've been playing the same Yamaha YAS-23 for 7 years. There is nothing wrong it and I love it but I want to continue to play music throughout my life and I'm looking to buy a more professional "new to me" horn, I don't care if it's used I just want a more mature sounding horn. I've been looking at selmers and cannonballs but I can't decide. If you have any suggestions that would be a great help, thank you!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

7 years ago

Re: What saxophone

That is an awful open question to be handed to a bunch of strangers.

I myself would consider a step up used Yamaha. That would be a great value.

Comparing a Cannonball and a Selmer is like deciding between a Ford Tempo and a Toyota Camry. Both are cars but I would only drive one of them.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by Dawson33
      (3 posts)

7 years ago

I have looked at others. I was just giving examples 

Reply To Post

2. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

7 years ago

A good place to start would be to go to the "Resources" tab on this site, and pick "Saxophone Buyers Guide" from the drop down.  They give good information on the various brands and talk you through the modern vs vintage horn issues.  Finally, if you buy used, they tell you what to look for and look out for when buying.  

Cannonball vs Selmer?  Please give me a third choice.  I have not been real impressed with the Cannonballs I have tried, and I have seen postings of intonation issues.  A professional Selmer...you can get 2 good professional horns from other manufacturers for the price of 1 good Selmer. 

Reply To Post

1. by Dawson33
      (3 posts)

7 years ago

I've look at others I was just giving examples.
      I have played on cannonballs and selmers that my high school owns and neither brand were terrible but the only one that really stood out and I loved was the Selmer Mark VI tenor.
      Thank you for your help, I will definitely use the resource tab :)  

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

7 years ago

Selmer Mark Vls are great. That's what I have and I play on. I am a professional sax player and bought my Mark Vl 40 years ago. But now (because of collectors and rich hobby players) the prices have gone up on Mark Vls!  If mine were stolen of damaged beyound repair I couldn't afford to buy another vintage Mark Vl to replace it. I would probably buy a Yamaha YTS 62 ll. They are good horns. I have one now I got a lot cheaper (less than a third) than what a vintage Mark Vl costs and I use it for my backup horn...it plays great!

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM