Saxophone Forum

by SaxMan88
(318 posts)
19 years ago

Reed talk

What are your favorite reeds? Just in general...I suppose for more of a jazz setting since after all this is the Jazz forum. I prefer the Vandoren ZZ's for my alto. For my tenor I'm using traditional Vandoren's but I might try some ZZ's for the tenor too. How about you guys?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by BOFFER!
    (5 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Reed talk

Mostly i play with Vandoren V16 is but sometimes Java too. When i play with Java i mostly use 2½ - 3 so you really can bend the tune

Reply To Post

2. by spifster
    (67 posts)

19 years ago

Vandoren Java or Hemke Premium on alto. Still experimenting with tenor reeds but am currently using javas for that also.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
      (248 posts)

19 years ago

i hate vandoreen. and for that matter, hemkes too. rico jazz select of lavoz, plenty hard is what i like. excuse the grammar; it's late.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
        (318 posts)

19 years ago

Rico Jazz Select... I might have to try them. After all, I'm not dead-set on Vandoren. And from what I've seen LaVoz's are like the Rico Royals...junk. I used to use Hemke's on my alto too, then I discovered they were just way too thin. Easy chipping and just not very durable. It seemed they magically chipped themselves. Oh well.

Reply To Post

2. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
      (55 posts)

19 years ago

Currently I'm hooked on the Alexander D.C.'s. I use 3's on alto.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
        (318 posts)

19 years ago

Hey Murphy This is JPSaxMan off of Saxophone Forum. Glad ya found this one. Hang around, we got some good guys around here who will give ya any advice needed.

Reply To Post

3. by Island991
      (22 posts)

19 years ago

im using Rico Jazz select 3M on alto for JJazz ESP, and Van ZZ 3 on ebonite Alto mpc. On tenor also using Rico Jazz select on a runyon, have been using 3S but im in a Salsa band and when i wanna really blow over bass/keys im sometimes finding it hard work (no mics for us horns at moment) so gonna try 3M. On soprano im really into Java 3. love the thicker tip, gives some real edge to sound but kinda smooth edge. IMHO.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
        (318 posts)

19 years ago

Are you using a Runyon metal or H/R? J/c...*wave*

Reply To Post

4. by Island991
      (22 posts)

19 years ago

runyon 88 H/R. i know its not a really punchy mouthpiece but i like the sound i can get from it. i think people think of it as a more classical style piece?

Reply To Post

1. by The_§ax
        (147 posts)

19 years ago

I like the Vandoren ZZ's for any jazzy stuff. The Vandorens are nice reeds but you get about two good ones in a box! I go to the store and they let me pick out individual ones, so at least I can pick out some of the best. What about synthetics?? anyone use them regularly?

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

I've tried a Bari reed on bari (huh, how about that?). I tried it on my old Bundy Selmer bari then when our school got the new Yamaha YBS-52 I tried it on that as well. Seems on the newer one it squeaks less, but I really don't care for it. I'd rather go with a cane reed imo.

Reply To Post

1. by spifster
            (67 posts)

19 years ago

I used to use a bari reed on my Rico Royal Graftonite mpc for tenor, but it gave me an almost artificial sound, real edgy and thin, so I switched to a plain rico royal and it plays great, tons of thick edge.

Reply To Post

2. by The_§ax
            (147 posts)

19 years ago

I can't beleive that people can play on those Rico Royal mouthpieces. I find them dreadful, but i know a few people that like them and they can play rather well. As for the synthetics, has anyone tried the Legere Studio Cut?? they are a great reed!

Reply To Post

3. by SaxMan88
            (318 posts)

19 years ago

I'm sure there are better mouthpieces out there, but I too like their tenor mouthpieces. I could always get a good sound out of a Rico Royal Graftonite B5 with a Selmer lig and plain reeds. That was before I upgraded tho with the new horn. I think I'm gonna get a Dukoff D7 for the tenor, which would add along to the stock S80 C* which is pretty blah.

Reply To Post

4. by spifster
            (67 posts)

19 years ago

I have tried the legiere reeds, and they are good reeds, but a little harsh sounding and will cut up your tongue if you're not careful.

Reply To Post

5. by YanagisawA-901
            (312 posts)

19 years ago

im using vandoren java 3.5.. and for the "duds" or some of the harder reeds in the box ive found a lil trick that helps to soften em up.. my teacher showed me this.. u press pretty firmly up and down the back end of the cut part of the reed.. right where it tapers upward towards the lig.. so after uv wet it and started playing, and uv realized its a dud.. get it nice and wet, and press around on the cut up part of the reed.. focusing on the middle part.. letting it flex and bend around.. i dont know if that made sense.. haha worked for me tho..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ