Saxophone Forum

by xBabysaxgirLx
(13 posts)
19 years ago

Set up Help

Hey everybody, I just bought a new YTS-475, which I will be using for concert and jazz band. Anyway, I was hoping you could give me some advice as to what the best legit mouthpiece and ligature for me would be, and also the best jazz mouthpiece/lig. I'm just looking for something that can give me a great sound for classical music, and something for jazz music, too...Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Set up Help

For classical I like the Selmer Larry Teal. It's a pretty good mouthpiece, and works well with regular vandorens. I put it on a YTS62II.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The Larry Teals are a great mouthpiece for classical, but they are a little pricey. I would also consider a Brilhart Ebolin. You should be able to get a Brilhart for around $50 for tenor. As for jazz, I'd try an Otto Link metal (Super Tone Master). The tenor model sells for around $120. I think www.giardinelli.com had them for $109

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by tenor562
        (297 posts)

19 years ago

I'd agree with Jim, Selmer overprices way too much, although they're good pieces. Brilharts are around 37 dollars new, and the vintage ones are a lot higher. I'd also look into a Vandoren V5, it's a little more, but worth a look at. -tenor562

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

The Vandorens are nice for tenor...you might also find a Morgan that would do the trick

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The stock Yamaha piece is probably good for classical.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

The stock yamaha is ok, but lacks a lot of evenness throughout the scale, maybe its just me. I do use it for marching and other things, and it's a really good piece for the money. You can get one for around 20 dollars, and they're great mouthpieces.

Reply To Post

4. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

19 years ago

this may go against what everyone on this board thinks.. but i found the selmer S80 C* to be pretty versitile.. as long as ur not playing lead in jazz.. it suits jazz well with the right reed/lig setup.. i used it for legit and everyone in my section does.. it allows for a centered tone and oppertunities to play with what tone u really want.. for jazz, like i sed, its not a good lead jazz piece.. mainly because it lacks projection and edge.. but if ur a 2nd alto in jazz, or maybe even just in a small combo it may work.. itll suit u in both..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

5. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Definately not a Selmer S80C*. Your stock Yamaha piece is better than the Selmer. Those pieces, especially the tenor pieces, can cause problems with intonation and projection. Why spend $140 for a mouthpiece that isn't nearly as good as the one that comes with your horn. The Larry Teal piece might be a good choice for classical, but again, they're quite expensive and only slightly better than your Yamaha piece. My suggestion is to buy a metal tenor piece like a Berg, an Otto Link, or a Jody Jazz piece, and keep you Yamaha for your classical needs

Reply To Post Yahoo!