Saxophone Forum

by saxrescue
(6 posts)
19 years ago

Mouthpieces

I am just starting to play again after several years and I am interested to know how much of a difference an upgrade in mouthpieces can make in your overall quality of sound. I am still playing with the one that came with my Martin that was purchased in 1980.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
    (55 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Mouthpieces

Upgrading your mouthpiece HUGELY improves your tone quality. a lot.

Reply To Post

1. by saxrescue
      (6 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks a bunch. Can you give me some insight on what would be a good choice for an upgrade. I will be playing on our whorship team at church which will be playing contemporary christian music and some of us will be looking at forming a community jazz band. I have a martin alto.

Reply To Post

1. by The_MarkVI
        (80 posts)

19 years ago

try a selmer C* or a Meyer hard rubber 5 or 6m. If you have the money, go for a jody jazz. all their peices are superb

Reply To Post

1. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

Agreed on the JodyJazz. They're AWESOME. Plus Jody has better customer service than anyone else I've dealt with. The HR* pieces are great and really versatile. And they're inexpensive. If you've got the cash though, his ESP series is completely out of this world. Phil Barone also makes some really killer pieces.

Reply To Post

2. by saxrescue
          (6 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks so much for your help. This gets me started in the right direction. Thanks again.

Reply To Post

2. by doctoxin
        (8 posts)

19 years ago

Yes, the C* is an old stand by, have had mine for over 30 years. I also use a Yani #5 metal.

Reply To Post