Saxophone Forum

by manicreed
(10 posts)
19 years ago

Classical Audition Material

I was approached today with a question about what classical solo (tenor) would be good for a Performing Arts High School audition. From what I understand the student is rather advanced and entering his freshmen year. Any suggestions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Classical Audition Material

well its hard to judge and "advanced frshman" but tell him to audition on alto, theyll switch him to whatever sax they want him to play. the lawson lunde sonata for saxophone is really good, but probably out of his league. im a senior and some of the licks are kicking me around at the tempos ita marked at.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by afterglows_fanson
      (18 posts)

19 years ago

I'm looking for some audition material for college auditions on alto sax. My reach, but also the school I realy want to go to is NYU. I've gotten a bit of a late start on studying strictly classical form (about a year) and am currently in transition between teachers, but I realy need to get going on audition pieces. Any suggestions? Despite my late start in classical training, I've been playing for 8 years, so I can play the alto sax pretty well, but I have no clue were to begin for audition pieces.

Reply To Post

1. by Quartertone
        (7 posts)

19 years ago

Afterglow, Some standards that work good for auditions are Heiden Sonata, Hindemith Sonate,Creston Sonata, Walter Hartley's Petite Suite, anything by Bach (I suggest Dr. Ronald Caravan's book "Bach for the Saxophone" available at classicsax.com. It the best collection of Bach transcriptions for the saxophone.

Reply To Post