Saxophone Forum

by Shiara514
(2 posts)
7 years ago

Sax buying advice

Hello all, 

I'm looking into buying a saxophone for my boyfriend. He currently plays guitar, bass, and piano, but has a real obsession with brass instruments and saxophone.  I am sadly not at all musically inclined, but have been doing a lot of reading online, and know I would rather buy him a used instrument of good quality than a very cheap, poorly made one.  I came across this Conn Alto (serial n111272, I think) in a local store. The tag says, "Conn Alto sax in excellent playing condition with black gig bag. $350."  I  wouldn't know by sound or sight if this sax is actually in good condition. I'm hoping that some of you could take a look at the pictures and let me know if this seems like a good purchase.   Thanks in advance! 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Sax buying advice

That's one of the infamous Conns made in Mexico during the 1970s.  They are extremely poorly made.  The only reason to buy that horn for your boyfriend would be if you were trying to play a mean trick on him.  

If you're looking for an inexpensive horn there are lots of Bundy I, Yamaha YAS 21 and 23 horns in circulation.  They're good student horns.  You are correct that condition is of utmost importance, so by all means check out whatever you're considering thoroughly.  Maybe find a friend who knows saxophones to help.

Reply To Post

2. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

7 years ago

GFC is correct about that Conn.  Since you do not know saxophones, I highly recommend that you buy a horn from a reputable seller who makes sure that the horn is in good repair and is playable as sold (many horns are sold as is, and that means spending another couple of hundred to get it to play well).
    Saxquest is one such company.  I do not see any Altos here in your price range right now, but you could contact them to discuss.  Another couple of reputable sources worth contacting are in the following links:
    https://www.junkdude.com/collections/saxophones/products/selmer-bundy-student-alto-saxophone
    http://www.2ndending.com/saxes.html

Good luck in your search! 

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
      (842 posts)

7 years ago

I'm with you most of the way, but can't agree with recommending 2ndending.com.  IMO the guy sells a lot of sub-marginal stuff with a line of emotional marketing BS such as "European craftsmanship" for crappy Evette-Schaeffer type stencils.  He's been on a campaign to promote MexiConns as some maligned line of undiscovered bargains.  His current page illustrates everything I just talked about.  It sets people up for some serious disappointment when they find out that their "undiscovered gem" really isn't.

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
        (282 posts)

7 years ago

To be honest, this is the first negative feedback I have received for 2ndending.  He does offer a lot of student models, and I have thought them to be appropriate for those getting their first horns.  (More playable than a lot of Ebay or Craigslist offerings).  
        However, I will take your advice seriously, as I have read your forum responses for a few years, and I respect your opinion.
        Thanks,
        mijderf 

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
      (644 posts)

7 years ago

And here is a third reply giving you the same advice.

A yamaha  or a bundy student alto is you best no nonsense choice. They are simple to work on, made with updated keywork and with the musician in mind.

Be proactive and find a local store that does repairs. Send it in for a tuneup and that will get you a good firm starting point for him. You can pick one up off of Craigslist for 200 bucks then expect a 75 dollar trip to the tunep shop. Make sure you also get the neck and mouthpiece in the deal. You need the whole inxstrument.

Good Luck.

Reply To Post

3. by Shiara514
      (2 posts)

7 years ago

THANKS SO MUCH!

Reply To Post

4. by Juliet001
      (1 post)

7 years ago