Saxophone Forum

by NYUjazz7
(1 post)
19 years ago

mouthpieces for a Mark VI....

I have a mark vi......I am wondering if anyone plays on a guardala or barone.... and your opinions about it?...I need to upgrade my current mouthpiece... I would appreciate any help..thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

19 years ago

Re: mouthpieces for a Mark VI....

I sometimes use a Guardala mouthpiece with my Mark Vi tenor. It's really loud and cuts through. I like hard rubber mouthpieces for my Mark Vi alto. It's really a personal thing so go with what works best for you.......flutman.
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

19 years ago

i know that my sax teacher uses a Meyer New York on his early modeled Mark..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
        (55 posts)

19 years ago

First of all, alto or tenor? Since you have a seemingly endless money supply, considering the Guardalas and Barones are absurdly priced, I'd get a nice vintage piece and not waste the money. Tenor: Florida Otto Link (I don't play tenor, but it seems to me that the general opinion of them is that they're out of this world) Alto: M.C. Gregory Model A or Master Model (I was absolutely blown away when I first played one of these. I couldn't afford the 350 it was being sold for at the time, so I got a meyer.

Reply To Post

1. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry if I seem irritable. It's a bad day. The Barone rubber pieces are amazing, and not TOO expensive. I just don't understand who could charge over 500 bucks for a MOUTHPIECE. But, if I had to choose between the Guardala or the Barone, I would definitely pick the Barone. On alto. JodyJazz pieces are also fabulous. They have a really full sound, and their response and range is just ridiculous.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

what type of sound are you looking for? A great metal jazz mouthpiece for a Mark VI tenor is a Dukoff Hollywood. Some of the newer Dukoffs though I have heard are not all that good, but maybe give one a try or look for one of the vintage pieces on ebay. I secon Bleeding Gums Murphy on the Jody Jazz pieces. Jody's mouthpieces are fantastic! I would definately buy a Jody over a Guardala or Barone.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

19 years ago

As I said before, mouthpieces are a personal thing. Know what sound you want and find the right mouthpiece to help. Your sound will depend on the way you blow your horn and what you hear in your head, or your concept of a saxophone sound. I think the mouthpiece is an important part of the puzzle. I use a couple of different Dukoffs and a Gaurdala at different times. If it's a jazz gig I like the Dukoff D8. If is a rock gig I'll use the Guardala. This is just the way I do it and it might not work for any one else. The main thing is practice your tail off...........flutman
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Lotus54
        (32 posts)

19 years ago

I've been playing a Guardala on my Tenor for some 20 years. It is one of the older hand made ones, the 'Traditional' model. I stopped by Dave's shop in New York and tried a bunch. The Studio played great, but was too darn bright for what I wanted. It would work perfectly in a really loud band. I don't think that anything quite like the 'Traditional' is made anymore, large bore, fairly large opening and a fairly low baffle. I felt the gold plated one sounded smoother and a bit darker, so I spend the extra and bought that. It wasn't cheap, but it sure works well. You may be able to find a used one floating around. I've never tried any of the laser cut newer models, so I have no comment on them. mark

Reply To Post