Saxophone Forum

by HYK
(5 posts)
19 years ago

ZZ reeds VS Rico Jazz Selects (alto sax)

I am troubled whether to get the ZZ reeds or the rico jazz selects reeds, price not considered. Which one is indeed better? Which one produces a darker tone?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxmannwmsu
    (48 posts)

19 years ago

Re: ZZ reeds VS Rico Jazz Selects (alto sax)

I've played both on my alto with my Lakey 5*3. Here's my two cents. ZZ's are not a bad reed per say. They give you a very buzzy, fairly bright sound. I've also found that, as with most boxes of Vandoren reeds, there's not alot of playable reeds that will last you very long. Jazz Selects are a really good reed. I've never been a fan of Rico products, but these reeds changed my point of view! They produce a VERY smooth tone. It still retains some brightness, but it doesn't cut through cynder blocks like ZZ's do. You'll still be heard very well, no doubt. Alexanders DC's (I saw someone else write about them). You'd figure with the Superials and Classiques being two of my favorite reeds that I'd LOVE DC's...not so much. I've played through two tins of them, and I've barely found two that were playable. They're VERY bright and buzzy, even more so than the ZZ's. 8 out of the ten I've played on have been SEVERELY unbalanced. I wouldn't suggest these reeds.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by senior
    (23 posts)

19 years ago

On my Alto, I find the ZZ's work better. But I am not a fan of rico reeds. For a darker tone trry the JAVA's. I find them even better than the ZZ.

Reply To Post

1. by HYK
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

oh ic...anymore replies? What sort of tone do we get for the ZZs?

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
        (312 posts)

19 years ago

dont ZZ's tend to try and produce that "jazzy buzz" kinda tone?? ..i dont think they work to give u a darker or lighter tone... they work with the tone ur body and sax and mouthpiece produces and give it that slight buzz and edge since its a thinner cut.. i dont like em.. i like javas..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by someguy
          (80 posts)

19 years ago

I use ZZ 2.5 w/ my STM Otto link 7. I found they seem to cut down the breakin time. I like them, I like the V16 also. I have a Rico select 3 that I tried and it has taken alot longer to breakin than the ZZ's.

Reply To Post

2. by syrasax
          (75 posts)

19 years ago

ditto on the jazzy buzz of the zz . . . of the the two rico is smoother

Reply To Post

3. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

dunno on either...I use Alexander DC's and they work well for me....

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I prefer the Rico Jazz select reeds. The ZZ's are better than the V16's. I don't like the way the V16's are cut. I play one for about 45 minutes and they're too soft and I can't get a good response out of it. I think they're cut too thin. I also prefer the unfiled reeds. As a general rule....if it says "French" anywhere on the reed package....I don't buy them except for LaVoz. The LaVoz unfiled reeds are pretty good

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by Spike
          (248 posts)

19 years ago

In the words of my old mentor: "The 'ZZ' stands for sucks." I'm inclined to agree with his assessment. I generally play on jazz select(4s, filed,) but something else maywill work for you.

Reply To Post