Saxophone Forum

by mrd
(137 posts)
19 years ago

Vandoren V-16 metal Tenor or Metal Rovner Eagle Mouthpiece

Can anyone give me the rundown on these two Metals for Tenor. I found that both get good writeups, but I don't know any more. Can you give me some opinions on either or both of these.. Thanks guys again. DD

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Vandoren V-16 metal Tenor or Metal Rovner Eagle Mouthpiece

The V16 metal is similar to an Otto Link STM, but with a slightly higher roll baffle. Not so high as to make it overly edgy, but gives it a little more "pop" when you articulate. It maintains a large chamber, so the sound remains full at the low end. I've always been impressed with Vandoren's mpc quality and consistency (not hard to find a "good one") - you just have to find one as they are all "good". I have a V16 T55 which is good for general purposes. If you have to blow your brains out to be heard (like if you're not mic'ed), then a T75 or larger would be a good idea. I don't have any experience with the Rovner Eagle.

Reply To Post

1. by mrd
      (137 posts)

19 years ago

V 16 : Beechler Metal: JJ ESP

Sax maniac: On tenor, the Vandoren is still an awesome mpc after weeks on it. I also went back to the Beechler Metal, and it sings also. Both give me total control over breath, and sing all the way down and up. I also gave in on alto, and ordered the JJ ESP metal. I just couldn't wait any further on the alto to find out what all the "hype" was about. I should have it in a few days, and if you wish, I can report on its impression for others to hear. Thanks for all your comments.

Reply To Post

2. by mrd
      (137 posts)

19 years ago

How would you compare the V16 to a Berg

How would you describe as a comparison the sound of these two.?

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: How would you compare the V16 to a Berg

As I have no experience with the Rovner Eagle, I can't really say. I can confidently say that the V-16 is "punchier" than an Otto Link STM (kind of how they should be made in the first place). And the tone from the V16 isn't overly crass or edgy - a smooth response... good projection without too much edge. I can't play the notes like Joshua Redman, but my perception is that I'm close to his sound concept with the V-16.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: How would you compare the V16 to a Berg

Oh - sorry - I didn't realize you changed the subject line. I've never kept any Berg I've ever bought or traded, though Bergs can be made into decent mouthpieces in the hands of a skilled refacer. For a low baffle metal and a smoother, refined sound, I think that the V16 is totally the way to go - not Berg (too inconsistent). If you want that "killer" high baffle projection and edge, skip the Bergs and go right to a Ponzol M2+. Those are truly spectacular, though I'd classify it as a "rock" piece, so it will be "too much" in certain applications.

Reply To Post

2. by mrd
          (137 posts)

19 years ago

What about the Ponzol 105 M1 Metal Tenor Sax Mouthpiece

You mention the M2+. What about a 105 M1? What would you say about that?

Reply To Post

3. by mrd
          (137 posts)

19 years ago

What about Ponzol M2 110

There is one on ebay, however I have never played that large of an opening. I don't know whether it would make sense for me, or I should stay below 100. My current mpcs are at .90. Any comment on that size opening as well?

Reply To Post

4. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: What about Ponzol M2 110

I jumped from the .085 range up to my M2+ 110 without too much trouble. You may want to go down a notch in reed strength, but higher baffles generally make larger tip openings easier to blow. The sound of the M2 is at the high end of the spectrum when it comes to edge and projection. A very different mouthpiece than the V16. Great, but different - be sure you have decided upon which sound you are after (maybe both?)

Reply To Post

5. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: What about the Ponzol 105 M1 Metal Tenor Sax Mouthpiece

Yeah - I did an early bid on that 105 M1. Could be a very nice piece if the reface was done well. That piece would be a "middle road" between the V16 and M2+.

Reply To Post

6. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: What about the Ponzol 105 M1 Metal Tenor Sax Mouthpiece

Also... Ponzols start at .100" - nothing smaller.

Reply To Post

7. by mrd
          (137 posts)

19 years ago

Maybe I should wait for a Jody Jazz ESP?

Any comparison on this as an alternative?

Reply To Post

8. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Maybe I should wait for a Jody Jazz ESP?

I'm not too familiar with the Ponzols. I have heard that they are pretty good. I think they're a little pricey also aren't they? Comparable to the Jody Jazz? I'd go for the Jody! GREAT mouthpieces! Or, for about $120, you can buy an Otto Link metal.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

9. by mrd
          (137 posts)

19 years ago

I BOUGHT THE VANDOREN V-16

OK Guys. I gave in. I bought the Vandoren. It should arrive in a few days. Will report back as to my impression.

Reply To Post

10. by mrd
          (137 posts)

19 years ago

I got it!!

So, Great Mouthpiece. Just a note to you guys interested in this. I just received the Vandoren with the optimum lig. All I can say is fantastic. It plays like the advertisement. It is full, warm when you want it, and dam bright when you want it. Definitely a new experience to play one of the better made products. Too bad it has to be made in France, instead of the good ole USA. But then again, I have it on my Selmer, so I shouldn't say anything. Anyway, I put the plasticover on it, and it is screams. BRIGHT!! then the Alexanders, and it got warmer. So, the reed changed the tone dramatically. I haven't tried the three lig attachments yet, but will soon. So, Great Mouthpiece.

Reply To Post

11. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: I got it!!

Welcome to the V-16 fan club! Doesn't it make you wish Vandoren made metals for all horns?

Reply To Post

12. by mrd
          (137 posts)

19 years ago

Sam_maniac

Thanks for the acceptance. The rails are SMOOTH, and just the piece itself seems like a pristine piece of work. I was always trying to spend much less thinking that how much difference could there be.? On the other hand, when a Guaradala can go for 1,000, there better be plenty of reason. I think this is high enough. Don't you?? Anyway, I sure do think Vandoren should make a horn! Wouldn't that be some competition, if Vandoren, in France no less, went after the pack. It seems that with this mouthpiece, there reeds, and their reputation, it would make some marketplace. Anyone willing to talk to them??

Reply To Post

13. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

Good stuff, man!

Vandoren, apparently, is going to start making Optimum mpcs for S, T, and B - which is cool. Spending $250-ish for a mouthpiece is certainly no chump change. While I think spending multiples of that on vintage pieces is sort of foolish unless you're a crazed collector, I think that V16's and Ponzols are certainly great enough to warrant the cost. I would never expect to see Vandoren's name on a horn unless it was a Chinese "Vandurin" or something lke that. "Play World Famous Vandurin Saxophone! Sound like cool Sanborn! Engineered by someone who can speak French! Come with mouthpipe and rieds! Happy Happy Good Time!"

Reply To Post