Saxophone Forum

by Tofflann
(2 posts)
7 years ago

Problem with high notes

Hello everyone!
I have now played the sax for 5 mouths and I love it!
i have played trumpet since I was 6 but i feel like I'm d with it so I now changed to saxophone.
i started on alt but I have always love the tenor so I started play that.
buuut I have i problem when I take the high notes with the octave key it sound thin and like
there is a mute or something. It's very irritating because sound is very important to me.
the low notes sound good but the high sounds thin and like very watery if u know what I mean like the mout piece is filled with water.
i have a cheap tenor jupiter and a Yamaha 4c mout piece I think.
what do you guys think? im not biting and I try to like not roll my lip over my teeth.
my friends just says that it come by the years but I want to do something now! Please help :( 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Problem with high notes

1.  It would be good to know if your tone problems are with the lower octave key notes D,E,F and G, or if the problem is really the high octave key notes, A,B,C, etc.  I ask this because there are two octave keys on your horn, and if your tone problem is only with the lower or upper notes, that would be good to know.
    2.  Although you say you are not biting, it is very normal for relatively new players to bite down in the upper octave without realizing this.  To test this out, relax your embouchure and open you throat before you blow, and see if the octave notes improve in tone.
    3.  What is your reed strength?  A reed that is too soft will yield good tone on low notes, but thin tones on high notes.  If your Yamaha tenor mouthpiece is a 4C, then the tip opening is about 0.067", and in general, the smaller the tip opening for a particular brand of mouthpiece, the harder the reed needs to be.  If you are playing a 2.5 strength reed, you might see what a 3.0 will do (but you may lose some of the resonance in your lower notes).
    4.  One thing to do is to have one of your friends play with your mouthpiece (clean it first) and your reed strength, and see if they also experience the issue.  If so, there could be an issue with the horn.

There are a lot of experiments that you can go through to determine if the issue is you, your horn, your mouthpiece or your reed selection.  But please take your time and work through the possibilities methodically.  If you rush this you can come to the wrong conclusion, and that can make your problems even worse.  Don't worry too much, 5 months is not a very long time on any musical instrument. 

Reply To Post

1. by Tofflann
      (2 posts)

7 years ago

1. Oh ok ill try some motr reeds thank tou so much for The help 

And its alL The notes when you hold down the ocatve key.. the D E F sound muted and the higher sounds thin

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
        (282 posts)

7 years ago

Here is something to check out.  If your D,E and F are muted sounding, you may be having synchronizataion issues between the 2 octave keys (I had this once).  To check this out, without putting the mouthpiece in your mouth, finger a G1 (G in the staff).  Then watch your neck octave key pad when you press your octave key.  There should be absolutely no movement in the neck octave key pad when you do this...none.  (The body octave pad is the only one that should move when playing this note).  If the neck octave key pad moves even the slightest amount, you can get a leak there that makes the G,F,E and D sound stuffy.  When I had this problem, I could just see the neck octave pad wobble slightly, not lift, but it was enough to make a small leak and then you have two octave key positions doing battle.

Good luck solving your problem! 

Reply To Post